Date:   Fri, 2 Dec 2022 08:53:52 +0000
From:   <yuji2.ishikawa@...hiba.co.jp>
To:     <hverkuil-cisco@...all.nl>, <posciak@...omium.org>,
        <paul.kocialkowski@...tlin.com>, <mchehab+samsung@...nel.org>,
        <linux-media@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        <tfiga@...omium.org>
Subject: RE: Question for an accepted patch: use of DMA-BUF based videobuf2
 capture buffer with no-HW-cache-coherent HW

Hi Hans,

It seems I have misunderstood how DMA-BUF's cache syncs are maintained along with
videobuf2 API calls.
I understand that cache syncs are expected to be handled before prepare() and after finish().
The "ownership" transition along QBUF/DQBUF came from my misunderstanding, please forget.

> And here https://docs.kernel.org/driver-api/dma-buf.html I read that userspace
> must call DMA_BUF_IOCTL_SYNC to ensure the caches are synced before
> using the buffer.
>
> Are you calling DMA_BUF_IOCTL_SYNC?

Missing calling ioctl(DMA_BUF_IOCTL_SYNC) in userland was exactly the cause.
I read the document, carried out experiments and found it worked completely.
Very sorry to bother you.

Regards,
	Yuji