Date:   Fri, 9 Dec 2022 19:47:52 +0100
From:   Manfred Spraul <manfred@...orfullife.com>
To:     "Sverdlin, Alexander" <alexander.sverdlin@...mens.com>,
        "corbet@....net" <corbet@....net>,
        "linux-doc@...r.kernel.org" <linux-doc@...r.kernel.org>,
        thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:     "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        1vier1@....de
Subject: Re: Invalid locking pattern in
 Documentation/kernel-hacking/locking.rst?

Hi Alexander,

On 12/9/22 13:23, Sverdlin, Alexander wrote:
> Dear documentation maintainers,
>
> the latest version of locking.rst contains the following (since 2005):
>
> "Manfred Spraul points out that you can still do this, even if the data
> is very occasionally accessed in user context or softirqs/tasklets. The
> irq handler doesn't use a lock, and all other accesses are done as so::
>
>          spin_lock(&lock);
>          disable_irq(irq);
> "
>
> Isn't it "sleeping in atomic" actually because of the sleeping
> disable_irq()?

Good catch!

The documentation of disable_irq() claims that the function is safe to
be called from IRQ context (for careful callers)

But it calls synchronize_irq(). And synchronize_irq() claims that the
function can be called only from preemptible code.

The change was in 2009:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v6.1-rc8&id=3aa551c9b4c40018f0e261a178e3d25478dc04a9

@Thomas/@...o: What do we want?

Declare disable_irq()&synchronize_irq() as safe from irq context only if
no threaded irq handlers are used?

Or declare both function as preemptible context only?

The update for locking.rst would be to switch from spin_lock() to
mutex_lock().

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/irq/manage.c#L126

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/irq/manage.c#L716

--