Date:   Sat, 17 Dec 2022 13:55:25 -0600
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>
Cc:     Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>,
        Clark Williams <williams@...hat.com>,
        Kate Carcia <kcarcia@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-perf-users@...r.kernel.org,
        Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@...el.com>,
        Dmitrii Dolgov <9erthalion6@...il.com>,
        Ian Rogers <irogers@...gle.com>,
        James Clark <james.clark@....com>,
        Kang Minchul <tegongkang@...il.com>,
        Kan Liang <kan.liang@...ux.intel.com>,
        Kautuk Consul <kconsul@...tanamicro.com>,
        Leo Yan <leo.yan@...aro.org>,
        Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...nel.org>,
        Nikita Shubin <n.shubin@...ro.com>,
        Yang Jihong <yangjihong1@...wei.com>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@...nel.org>,
        Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] perf tools changes for v6.2: 1st batch

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme@...nel.org> wrote:

> The python3-setuptools package is needed to build the python binding, so
> that one can use things like:

So this fixes the error, but there's some other reason for it.

I have

  Package python3-setuptools-59.6.0-3.fc36.noarch is already installed.

and with that patch the 'perf' build now works for me, but it says:

    Makefile.config:898: Missing python setuptools, the python binding
won't be built, please install python3-setuptools or equivalent

and then (pre-existing)

    Makefile.config:921: Python interpreter too old (older than 3.6)
disabling jevent generation

but I have

    python3-3.10.8-3.fc36.x86_64

Now, for some reason I *also* have python2 installed, but that one is
called "python2".

[ Me trying to figure things out ]

Ok, so if I uninstall my old python2 install, I now get

  Makefile.config:880: No python interpreter was found: disables
Python support - please install python-devel/python-dev
  Makefile.config:915: No python interpreter disabling jevent generation

ok, so I didn't have 'python3-devel' installed. Installing that fixes
some things, but then I get

  Makefile.config:889: No 'Python.h' (for Python 2.x support) was
found: disables Python support - please install
python-devel/python-dev

so apparently perf really wants *both* python2 and python3 installed.
Isn't that a bit excessive?

Anyway, it's clearly something about the install on this laptop, but
the error messages and the "this package is missing" things are
clearly not entirely right.

Whatever. It does build cleanly now for me, and I'll ignore that "No
'Python.h' (for Python 2.x support)" thing.

              Linus