Date:   Wed, 8 Feb 2023 18:02:39 +0000
From:   "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert@...hat.com>
To:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:     Christophe de Dinechin <dinechin@...hat.com>,
        "pgonda@...gle.com" <pgonda@...gle.com>,
        "keescook@...omium.org" <keescook@...omium.org>,
        James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
        Michael Kelley <mikelley@...rosoft.com>,
        "Lange, Jon" <jlange@...rosoft.com>,
        "linux-coco@...ts.linux.dev" <linux-coco@...ts.linux.dev>,
Subject: Re: Linux guest kernel threat model for Confidential Computing

* Greg Kroah-Hartman (gregkh@...uxfoundation.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:19:37PM +0100, Christophe de Dinechin wrote:

> > > It sounds like you want such a set of drivers, why not just write them?
> > > We have zillions of drivers already, it's not hard to write new ones, as
> > > it really sounds like that's exactly what you want to have happen here
> > > in the end as you don't trust the existing set of drivers you are using
> > > for some reason.
> >
> > In the CC approach, the hypervisor is considered as hostile. The rest of the
> > system is not changed much. If we pass-through some existing NIC, we'd
> > rather use the existing driver for that NIC rather than reinvent
> > it.
>
> But that is not what was proposed.  I thought this was all about virtio.
> If not, again, someone needs to write a solid definition.

As I said in my reply to you a couple of weeks ago:

  I'm not sure the request here isn't really to make sure *all* PCI devices
  are safe; just the ones we care about in a CoCo guest (e.g. the virtual devices) -
  and potentially ones that people will want to pass-through (which
  generally needs a lot more work to make safe).
  (I've not looked at these Intel tools to see what they cover)

so *mostly* virtio, and just a few of the other devices.

> So if you want to use existing drivers, wonderful, please work on making
> the needed changes to meet your goals to all of them.  I was trying to
> give you a simple way out :)

> > > Again, stop it please with the "hardened" nonsense, that means nothing.
> > > Either the driver has bugs, or it doesn't.  I welcome you to prove it
> > > doesn't :)
> >
> > In a non-CC scenario, a driver is correct if, among other things, it does
> > not leak kernel data to user space. However, it assumes that PCI devices are
> > working correctly and according to spec.
>
> And you also assume that your CPU is working properly.

We require the CPU to give us a signed attestation to prove that it's a
trusted CPU, that someone external can validate.  So, not quite
'assume'.

>  And what spec
> exactly are you referring to?  How can you validate any of that without
> using the PCI authentication protocol already discussed in this thread?

The PCI auth protocol looks promising and is possibly the right long
term answer.   But for a pass through NIC for example, all we'd want is
that (with the help of the IOMMU) it can't get or corrupt any data the
guest doesn't give it - and then it's upto the guest to run encryption
over the protocols over the NIC.

> > > Again, why wouldn't we all want "robust" drivers?  This is not anything
> > > new here,
> >
> > What is new is that CC requires driver to be "robust" against a new kind of
> > attack "from below" (i.e. from the [virtual] hardware side).
>
> And as I have said multiple times, that is a totally new "requirement"
> and one that Linux does not meet in any way at this point in time.

Yes, that's a fair statement.

> If
> you somehow feel this is a change that is ok to make for Linux, you will
> need to do a lot of work to make this happen.
>
> Anyway, you all are just spinning in circles now.  I'll just mute this
> thread until I see an actual code change as it seems to be full of
> people not actually sending anything we can actually do anything with.

I think the challenge will be to come up with non-intrusive, minimal
changes;  obviously you don't want stuff shutgunned everywhere.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@...hat.com / Manchester, UK