Date:   Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:35:45 -0500
From:   Felix Kuehling <felix.kuehling@....com>
To:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>,
        Baolu Lu <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "Huang, Shimmer" <Shimmer.Huang@....com>,
        "Liu, Aaron" <Aaron.Liu@....com>
Cc:     Joerg Roedel <jroedel@...e.de>,
        "regressions@...ts.linux.dev" <regressions@...ts.linux.dev>,
        Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@...mhuis.info>,
        Linux PCI <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Pan, Xinhui" <Xinhui.Pan@....com>,
        "Hegde, Vasant" <Vasant.Hegde@....com>,
        amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
        "iommu@...ts.linux.dev" <iommu@...ts.linux.dev>,
        Matt Fagnani <matt.fagnani@...l.net>,
        Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>,
        "Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@....com>,
        Christian König <christian.koenig@....com>
Subject: Re: [regression, bisected, pci/iommu] Bug 216865 - Black screen when amdgpu started during 6.2-rc1 boot with AMD IOMMU enabled

[+Shimmer, Aaron]

Am 2023-02-15 um 10:39 schrieb Bjorn Helgaas:
> [+cc Christian, Xinhui, amd-gfx]
>
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 01:48:11PM +0800, Baolu Lu wrote:

If I understand this correctly, the HW or the BIOS is doing something
wrong about reporting ACS. I don't know what the GPU driver can do other
than add some quirk to stop using AMD IOMMUv2 on this HW/BIOS.

It looks like the problem is triggered when the driver calls
amd_iommu_init_device. That's when the first WARNs happen, soon followed
by a kernel oops in report_iommu_fault. The driver doesn't know anything
is wrong because amd_iommu_init_device seems to return "success". And
the oops is not in the GPU driver either.

I guess this could also be handled more gracefully in the IOMMU driver
(i.e. fail gracefully in amd_iommu_init_device and let the caller know
that something is wrong, don't oops in report_iommu_fault).

Regards,
   Felix