Date:   Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:11:23 +0800
From:   David Gow <davidgow@...gle.com>
To:     Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@...mhuis.info>
Cc:     Mikhail Gavrilov <mikhail.v.gavrilov@...il.com>, rmoar@...gle.com,
        brendanhiggins@...gle.com, skhan@...uxfoundation.org,
        Linux List Kernel Mailing <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux kernel regressions list <regressions@...ts.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: [6.3][regression] after commit 7170b7ed6acbde523c5d362c8978c60df4c30f30
 my system stuck in initramfs forever

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 at 23:53, Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@...mhuis.info> wrote:

> On 25.02.23 15:55, Mikhail Gavrilov wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 7:22 PM Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@...mhuis.info> wrote:
> >>
> >> [CCing the regression list, as it should be in the loop for regressions:
> >> https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-regressions.html]

> >> Do you see any error messages? I have problems since Friday morning as
> >> well (stuck in Fedora's initramfs) and see a lot of BPF warnings like
> >> "BPF: invalid name" and "failed to validate module". Was able to do a
> >> screenshot:
> >>
> >> https://www.leemhuis.info/files/misc/Screenshot_ktst-f36-x86-64_2023-02-24_07:53:14.png
> >
> > I also seen such messages
> > https://freeimage.host/i/img-1475.HMPL26l
>
> Pretty sure that's the same problem, at least the symptoms match. If
> anyone needs a config to reproduce this, here's one of mine that shows
> the problem:
>
> https://www.leemhuis.info/files/misc/config
>
> > P.S.: I also use Fedora Rawhide.
>
> Happens for me on all Fedora 36, 37, and 38 (my rawhide build failed for
> other reasons, so I couldn't test).
>
> Ciao, Thorsten

Thanks for the report, and sorry this seems to have broken.

I've not been able to reproduce this locally yet, but I'm looking into it.

In the meantime, a few questions if you have time:
- Does this happen with CONFIG_KUNIT=y as well as CONFIG_KUNIT=m?
- Does this patch fix it?
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/20230225014529.2259752-1-davidgow@google.com/T/#u

I can't think of any particular reason this commit would cause these
problems, but there were some issues with the way these 'hooks' were
built, so it's possibly related.

Sorry again for the inconvenience!

Cheers,
-- David

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4003 bytes)