Date:   Wed,  1 Mar 2023 00:55:21 +0000
From:   SeongJae Park <sj@...nel.org>
To:     "Pulavarty, Badari" <badari.pulavarty@...el.com>
Cc:     SeongJae Park <sj@...nel.org>,
        "lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org"
        <lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
        "damon@...ts.linux.dev" <damon@...ts.linux.dev>,
        "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
Subject: RE: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] DAMON Updates and Future Plans

Hi Badari,

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 00:24:54 +0000 "Pulavarty, Badari" <badari.pulavarty@...el.com> wrote:

> Hi SJ,
>
> We discussed this earlier.
>
> - Are there plans to make DAMON monitor/manage cgroup instead of individual pids?

Yes.

For moniroting cgroups, there are only rough ideas at the moment, and no much
progress has made so far.  I hope to discuss about real needs of this feature
(I didn't make much progress here mainly because there was no many people
pushing this) and the best way for implementing it during the session if
possible.

For monitoring-based memory management of cgroups (via DAMOS), however, DAMOS
provides cgroup-based management action target memory filtering[1].  Using the
feature, you can do cgroups-based access-aware memory management.  The patchset
has merged into the mainline a few days ago.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/damon/20221205230830.144349-1-sj@kernel.org/

Thanks,
SJ