Date:   Thu, 09 Mar 2023 22:50:21 +0800
From:   Xi Ruoyao <xry111@...111.site>
To:     virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: PAE + virtio = probe error?

Hello,

I'm using a QEMU VM for testing things on 32-bit x86.  Today I updated
the VM to use Linux kernel 6.2.2, and a strange issue happened: both
virtio block driver and virtio network driver fail to probe with errors
like:

[    0.950474] virtio_blk virtio1: virtio: device uses modern interface but does not have VIRTIO_F_VERSION_1
[    0.951669] virtio_blk: probe of virtio1 failed with error -22

I spent some time debugging the issue, and it turned out if I disable
CONFIG_X86_PAE, the virtio drivers would function normally.  But then I
can only use 4GB RAM in the VM.

Is this a bug or I'm doing something wrong?  The command to start the VM
is:

qemu -enable-kvm                     \
     -smp 8                          \
     -cpu host                       \
     -m 16G                          \
     -drive file=disk.img,if=virtio  \
     -boot menu=on                   \
     -net nic,netdev=net0,model=virtio-net-pci            \
     -netdev user,id=net0            \
     -device ac97                    \
     -vga std                        \
     -serial mon:stdio               \
     -name "32_bit_x86"              \
     -pflash /usr/share/qemu/edk2-x86_64-code.fd

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@...111.site>