Date:   Sat, 11 Mar 2023 06:25:59 +0000
From:   Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
To:     Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...nel.org>
Cc:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, Sasha Levin <sashal@...nel.org>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...r.kernel.org,
        viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: AUTOSEL process

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 09:45:24PM +0000, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 10:18:35PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I believe that -stable would be more useful without AUTOSEL process.
>
> There has to be a way to ensure that security fixes that weren't properly tagged
> make it to stable anyway.  So, AUTOSEL is necessary, at least in some form.  I
> think that debating *whether it should exist* is a distraction from what's
> actually important, which is that the current AUTOSEL process has some specific
> problems, and these specific problems need to be fixed...

I agree with you, that we need autosel and we also need autosel to
be better.  I actually see Pavel's mail as a datapoint (or "anecdote",
if you will) in support of that; the autosel process currently works
so badly that a long-time contributor thinks it's worse than nothing.

Sasha, what do you need to help you make this better?