Date:   Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:04:23 +0200
From:   Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:     Sasha Levin <sashal@...nel.org>
Cc:     Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...nel.org>,
        "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        stable@...r.kernel.org, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
        Leah Rumancik <leah.rumancik@...il.com>,
        "Luis R. Chamberlain" <mcgrof@...il.com>
Subject: Re: AUTOSEL process

On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 11:25 PM Sasha Levin <sashal@...nel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 10:54:59AM -0800, Eric Biggers wrote:
> >And yes, I am interested in contributing, but as I mentioned I think you need to
> >first acknowledge that there is a problem, fix your attitude of immediately
> >pushing back on everything, and make it easier for people to contribute.
>
> I don't think we disagree that the process is broken: this is one of the
> reasons we went away from trying to support 6 year LTS kernels.
>
> However, we are not pushing back on ideas, we are asking for a hand in
> improving the process: we've been getting drive-by comments quite often,
> but when it comes to be doing the actual work people are quite reluctant
> to help.
>
> If you want to sit down and scope out initial set of work around tooling
> to help here I'm more than happy to do that: I'm planning to be both in
> OSS and LPC if you want to do it in person, along with anyone else
> interested in helping out.

Sasha,

Will you be able to attend a session on AUTOSEL on the overlap day
of LSFMM and OSS (May 10) or earlier?

We were going to discuss the topic of filesystems and stable trees [1] anyway
and I believe the discussion can be even more productive with you around.

I realize that the scope of AUTOSEL is wider than backporting filesystem fixes,
but somehow, most of the developers on this thread are fs developers.

BTW, the story of filesystem testing in stable trees has also been improving
since your last appearance in LSFMM.

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/CACzhbgSZUCn-az1e9uCh0+AO314+yq6MJTTbFt0Hj8SGCiaWjw@mail.gmail.com/