Date:   Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:54:12 +0200
From:   Jinpu Wang <jinpu.wang@...os.com>
To:     linux-hwmon@...r.kernel.org, clemens@...isch.de,
        Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>, mario.limonciello@....com,
        babu.moger@....com
Cc:     open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: k10temp show over 100 degrees temperature on EPYC Milan servers from
 DELL and SMC

Dear experts on the list,

We've noticed many of our EPYC Milan servers from different vendors
(DELL  and SMC) show 100 degrees, eg

sudo sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Tctl:        +117.5°C
Tdie:        +117.5°C
Tccd1:        +67.0°C
Tccd2:        +65.2°C
Tccd3:        +63.2°C
Tccd4:        +63.8°C
Tccd5:        +67.2°C
Tccd6:        +63.5°C
Tccd7:        +64.2°C
Tccd8:        +64.8°C

 sudo lscpu
Architecture:                    x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:                      Little Endian
Address sizes:                   48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):                          128
On-line CPU(s) list:             0-127
Thread(s) per core:              2
Core(s) per socket:              64
Socket(s):                       1
NUMA node(s):                    1
Vendor ID:                       AuthenticAMD
CPU family:                      25
Model:                           1
Model name:                      AMD EPYC 7713P 64-Core Processor
Stepping:                        1
Frequency boost:                 enabled
CPU MHz:                         2479.705
CPU max MHz:                     3720,7029
CPU min MHz:                     1500,0000
BogoMIPS:                        3992.43
Virtualization:                  AMD-V
L1d cache:                       2 MiB
L1i cache:                       2 MiB
L2 cache:                        32 MiB
L3 cache:                        256 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s):               0-127

We've seen such high temperatures even on  idle servers.

We are running LTS kernel 5.10.136, but checking the git history for
k10temp driver, I don't find any missing fix.
My questions are:
1. Is it normal to have such high temperatures for tctl?  can we trust
the value?
2  Do we need to worry about such high temperatures?

Thx!
Jinpu Wang @ IONOS Cloud.