Date:   Fri, 5 May 2023 19:19:15 +0200
From:   Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
To:     Jerry Snitselaar <jsnitsel@...hat.com>
Cc:     peterhuewe@....de, jarkko@...nel.org, hdegoede@...hat.com,
        jgg@...pe.ca, linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: tpm_sis IRQ storm on ThinkStation P360 Tiny

On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 08:05:53AM -0700, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:

> It will poll like it has for years with tpm_tis.interrupts=0 so that
> should be working as it was prior to 6.3 when interrupts were re-enabled
> for tpm_tis. Are you seeing this with 6.2 as well? IIRC with that Thinkpad
> case is when it was first realized that interrupts had accidentally been
> disabled for tpm_tis at one point by a change.

v6.2 gets me:

[    8.888394] tpm_tis MSFT0101:00: 2.0 TPM (device-id 0x1D, rev-id 54)
[    8.891123] tpm tpm0: [Firmware Bug]: TPM interrupt not working, polling instead

> I guess myself or someone else needs to revisit catching this in
> general when the irq storm happens, and disabling interrupts for
> tpm_tis. I think last time I was incorporating some feedback from
> tglx, let my adhd get me distracted with some other issue and never
> returned to it.
>
> The diff below should (compile tested) work for the P360, but
> tpm_tis.interrupts=0 is a good work-around.

Yep, I suppose it would. I'll keep the kernel parameter for now, that's
easier than making sure I consistently apply that patch.

Thanks!