Date:   Tue, 16 May 2023 12:30:21 +0200
From:   David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
To:     "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@...el.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>
Cc:     linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Arjan Van De Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
        Johannes Weiner <jweiner@...hat.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Pavel Tatashin <pasha.tatashin@...een.com>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6] mm: improve page allocator scalability via splitting
 zones

On 16.05.23 11:38, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri 12-05-23 10:55:21, Huang, Ying wrote:
>>> Hi, Michal,
>>>
>>> Thanks for comments!

>>> Sorry, I didn't get your idea here.  What is per cpu arenas?  What's the
>>> difference between it and per cpu caches (PCP)?
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't give this much thought than the above. Essentially, we
>> have 2 level system right now. Pcp caches should reduce the contention
>> on the per cpu level and that should work reasonably well, if you manage
>> to align batch sizes to the workload AFAIK. If this is not sufficient
>> then why to add the full zone rather than to add another level that
>> caches across a larger than a cpu unit. Maybe a core?
>>
>> This might be a wrong way around going for this but there is not much
>> performance analysis about the source of the lock contention so I am
>> mostly guessing.
>
> I guess that the page allocation scalability will be improved if we put
> more pages in the per CPU caches, or add another level of cache for
> multiple logical CPUs.  Because more page allocation requirements can be
> satisfied without acquiring zone lock.
>
> As other caching system, there are always cases that the caches are
> drained and too many requirements goes to underlying slow layer (zone
> here).  For example, if a workload needs to allocate a huge number of
> pages (larger than cache size) in parallel, it will run into zone lock
> contention finally.  The situation will became worse and worse if we
> share one zone with more and more logical CPUs.  Which is the trend in
> industry now.  Per my understanding, we can observe the high zone lock
> contention cycles in kbuild test because of that.
>
> So, per my understanding, to improve the page allocation scalability in
> bad situations (that is, caching doesn't work well enough), we need to
> restrict the number of logical CPUs that share one zone.  This series is
> an attempt for that.  Better caching can increase the good situations
> and reduce the bad situations.  But it seems hard to eliminate all bad
> situations.
>
>  From another perspective, we don't install more and more memory for each
> logical CPU.  This makes it hard to enlarge the default per-CPU cache
> size.

>>> PCP does improve the page allocation scalability greatly!  But it
>>> doesn't help much for workloads that allocating pages on one CPU and
>>> free them in different CPUs.  PCP tuning can improve the page allocation
>>> scalability for a workload greatly.  But it's not trivial to find the
>>> best tuning parameters for various workloads and workload run time
>>> statuses (workloads may have different loads and memory requirements at
>>> different time).  And we may run different workloads on different
>>> logical CPUs of the system.  This also makes it hard to find the best
>>> PCP tuning globally.
>>
>> Yes this makes sense. Does that mean that the global pcp tuning is not
> [...]

If we could avoid instantiating more zones and rather improve existing
mechanisms (PCP), that would be much more preferred IMHO. I'm sure it's
not easy, but that shouldn't stop us from trying ;)

I did not look into the details of this proposal, but seeing the change
in include/linux/page-flags-layout.h scares me. Further, I'm not so sure
how that change really interacts with hot(un)plug of memory ... on a
quick glimpse I feel like this series hacks the code such that such that
the split works based on the boot memory size ...

I agree with Michal that looking into auto-tuning PCP would be
preferred. If that can't be done, adding another layer might end up
cleaner and eventually cover more use cases.

[I recall there was once a proposal to add a 3rd layer to limit
fragmenation to individual memory blocks; but the granularity was rather
small and there were also some concerns that I don't recall anymore]

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb