Date:   Tue, 23 May 2023 11:49:38 +0100
From:   Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
To:     Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>
Cc:     Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@...aro.org>,
        "open list:KERNEL SELFTEST FRAMEWORK"
        <linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-stable <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
        open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        lkft-triage@...ts.linaro.org,
        Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>,
        Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...aro.org>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>,
        Anders Roxell <anders.roxell@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: arm64: fp-stress: BUG: KFENCE: memory corruption in
 fpsimd_release_task

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 05:41:17PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 02:44:49PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> > On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 11:58:40AM +0530, Naresh Kamboju wrote:

> > > Following kernel BUG noticed while running selftests arm64 fp-stress
> > > running stable rc kernel versions 6.1.29-rc1 and 6.3.3-rc1.

> > Is there a known-good build so that we could attempt a bisection?

> FWIW, I've been trying (and failing) all day to reproduce this in QEMU.
> I matched the same VL configuration as you have in the fastmodel and
> tried enabling additional memory debugging options too, but I'm yet to
> see a kfence splat (or any other splat fwiw).

> How often do you see this?

As I said in another mail I've also been unable to reproduce this.  FWIW
I *suspect* that it might need to be run in the context of a full
kselftest run to manifest rather than just running fp-stress in
isolation, that's mostly a guess but given that the kfence trap appeared
to be happening on free at a point where the test program shouldn't be
exiting any tasks and should not be changing vector lengths on tasks
that have used either of the vector extensions.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (489 bytes)