Date:   Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:52:51 -0400
From:   "Liam R. Howlett" <Liam.Howlett@...cle.com>
To:     Peng Zhang <zhangpeng.00@...edance.com>
Cc:     maple-tree@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Maple Tree Work

* Peng Zhang <zhangpeng.00@...edance.com> [230713 05:58]:
> I have a question I want to discuss here. I noticed that the interface
> of maple tree has three different prefixes, namely mtree_*, mt_*, mas_*.
> I am curious why the interfaces prefixed with mtree_* and mt_* cannot be
> unified? I think they can be changed to mtree_* to avoid two different
> prefixes.

I am sure there was a reason.. looking at the documentation, it may have
been to indicate rcu/write locking..  But the entire interface doesn't
fit that reasoning.  We can probably align the mt_ and mtree_ all to be
mt_.

If we do, and we probably should, we'll have to change other places in
the kernel and the documentation.

The mas_ is the advanced interface so locking isn't handled, and
internally, the mas_ indicates the first argument is a struct ma_state
pointer.

I can add this to the list as well.

Thanks,
Liam