Date:   Mon, 17 Jul 2023 12:38:41 +0200
From:   Florian Fainelli <florian.fainelli@...adcom.com>
To:     Pali Rohár <pali@...nel.org>,
        Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:     Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@...el32.net>, stable@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Backporting commits for generating rpi dtb symbols to stable

On 7/16/2023 9:51 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Sunday 16 July 2023 21:08:38 Greg KH wrote:

>>> I wanted to discuss what do you think about it. As I wrote my motivation
>>> was to understood and get rid of those warnings "dterror: no symbols
>>> found" from bootloader when using DTB files from mainline kernel (as
>>> opposite of the DTB files from rpi foundation). And fix for it was just
>>> to generate DTB files from kernel via dtc's -@ parameter, same what are
>>> doing those mentioned patches (but they describe different problem for
>>> which is same fix). I thought that fixing those bootloader warnings is a
>>> bugfix.
>>
>> Why not just use the next kernel version instead?  What's forcing you to
>> use an older stable kernel that didn't have dt-overlay support?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>
> Why not use the next kernel? It is pretty simple, next is the
> development tree, not for production.

Maybe "next" should have not been taken as designating linux-next, but
whichever kernel version you are currently using wait for 6.5 final and
use it since it does contains Aurelien's commits.

> And as I wrote in previous email,
> I do not need here dt-overlay support. I wanted to get rid off that
> warning messages.

The motivation does not seem appropriate to warrant a stable backport,
besides as noted in the commit message including relocation information
inflates the resulting .dtb files, which could be seen as a regression.
--
Florian

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4221 bytes)