Date:   Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:03:19 +0000
From:   "Drew B." <subs@...ori.me>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Misbehavior with setsockopt timeval structure with -fpack-struct
 enabled

Hi everyone!
I've got a very strange behavior on Linux and OS X build of the same
source code. To be specific, when I try to set socket timeout option:

struct timeval timeout;
timeout.tv_sec = 0;
timeout.tv_usec = 1;
ret = setsockopt(so, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVTIMEO, &timeout,
sizeof(timeout));

with -fpack-struct enabled, on Linux machine the size of timeval struct
is 16 bytes (as well as unpacked), while on OS X it's 12 for packed and
16 for unpacked. In which case I get an error while trying to apply the
setting to the socket. I dug a little bit deeper and the following piece
of code in net/core/sock.c:

int sock_copy_user_timeval(struct __kernel_sock_timeval *tv,
			   sockptr_t optval, int optlen, bool old_timeval)
{
	if (old_timeval && in_compat_syscall() && !COMPAT_USE_64BIT_TIME) {
		struct old_timeval32 tv32;

		if (optlen < sizeof(tv32))
			return -EINVAL;

		if (copy_from_sockptr(&tv32, optval, sizeof(tv32)))
			return -EFAULT;
		tv->tv_sec = tv32.tv_sec;
		tv->tv_usec = tv32.tv_usec;
	} else if (old_timeval) {
		struct __kernel_old_timeval old_tv;

		if (optlen < sizeof(old_tv))
			return -EINVAL;
		if (copy_from_sockptr(&old_tv, optval, sizeof(old_tv)))
			return -EFAULT;
		tv->tv_sec = old_tv.tv_sec;
		tv->tv_usec = old_tv.tv_usec;
	} else {
		if (optlen < sizeof(*tv))
			return -EINVAL;
		if (copy_from_sockptr(tv, optval, sizeof(*tv)))
			return -EFAULT;
	}

	return 0;
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL(sock_copy_user_timeval);

So, to be specific (same or similar logics goes through the function in
respective places):
if (optlen < sizeof(tv32))
	return -EINVAL;
Which means, that it doesn't consider whether the structure is packed or
not, it always compares against unpacked (?) structure == 16 bytes (for
now).

Is it expected?

Kind regards,
Drew.