Date:   Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:51:53 -0400
From:   Woody Suwalski <terraluna977@...il.com>
To:     Igor Mammedov <imammedo@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     bhelgaas@...gle.com, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org, mst@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] acpipcihp: fix kernel crash on 2nd resume

Igor Mammedov wrote:
> Changelog:
>    * split out debug patch into a separate one with extra printk added
>    * fixed inverte bus->self check (probably a reason why it didn't work before)
>

> 1/3 debug patch
> 2/3 offending patch
> 3/3 potential fix
>
> I added more files to trace, add following to kernel CLI
>     dyndbg="file drivers/pci/access.c +p; file drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c +p; file drivers/pci/bus.c +p; file drivers/pci/pci.c +p; file drivers/pci/setup-bus.c +p; file drivers/acpi/bus.c +p" ignore_loglevel
>
> should be applied on top of
>     e8afd0d9fccc PCI: pciehp: Cancel bringup sequence if card is not present
>
> apply a patch one by one and run testcase + capture dmesg after each patch
> one shpould endup with 3 dmesg to ananlyse
>   1st - old behaviour - no crash
>   2nd - crash
>   3rd - no crash hopefully
>
> Igor Mammedov (3):
>    acpiphp: extra debug hack
>    PCI: acpiphp: Reassign resources on bridge if necessary
>    acpipcihp: use __pci_bus_assign_resources() if bus doesn't have bridge
>
>   drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c | 23 ++++++++++++++++++-----
>   1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

Actually applying patch1 is already creating the crash (why???), hence I
have added also dmesg-6.5-0.txt which shows a working condition based on
git e8afd0d9fccc level (acpiphp_glue in kernel 6.4)

Patch3 did not fix the issue, it seems that the culprit is somewhere
else triggered by  "benign" patch1 :-(

Also note about the trigger description in patch3: the dmesg trace on
Inspiron laptop is collected after the first wake from suspend to ram.
The consecutive  attempt to sleep results in a frozen system.

Thanks, Woody

Download attachment "rfc.tar.xz" of type "application/x-xz" (35540 bytes)