Date:   Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:31:59 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@...aro.org>
Cc:     linux-pm@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>,
        soc@...nel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] ARM: SoC/genpd driver updates for v6.6

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 at 17:18, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Please don't use random letter combinations that have absolutely
> no meaning to anybody else, and that aren't even explained.

Side note: at least to me, 'gen' is short for 'generate'. Looking at
existing kernel naming, that's how we've used it (lots of examples of
that from different areas).

Do we also have "generic"? Yes. And because 'gen' does not mean
'generic' to anybody, we've typically spelled it out - as in
asm-generic, but also 'sound/soc/generic', or in fact a _lot_ of other
examples.

Because we really aren't that close to running out of letters.

As to the 'pd' part, it actually has a fairly widely used meaning in
the industry, but it tends to be 'power delivery', in the USB-C sense.

So I really find that short-hand actively misleading,

I realize that the SoC code has used that shorthand internally, but
once you expose it like this, I really think you should do a much
better job at naming.

                 Linus