Date:   Thu, 9 Nov 2023 18:29:03 +0800
From:   Huan Yang <link@...o.com>
To:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>
Cc:     "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@...el.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
        Zefan Li <lizefan.x@...edance.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
        Roman Gushchin <roman.gushchin@...ux.dev>,
        Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>,
        Muchun Song <muchun.song@...ux.dev>,
        David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Kefeng Wang <wangkefeng.wang@...wei.com>,
        Peter Xu <peterx@...hat.com>,
        "Vishal Moola (Oracle)" <vishal.moola@...il.com>,
        Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@...gle.com>,
        Liu Shixin <liushixin2@...wei.com>,
        Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, opensource.kernel@...o.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] Introduce unbalance proactive reclaim

HI Michal Hocko,

Thanks for your suggestion.

在 2023/11/9 17:57, Michal Hocko 写道:
> [Some people who received this message don't often get email from mhocko@...e.com. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]
>
> On Thu 09-11-23 11:38:56, Huan Yang wrote:
> [...]
>>> If so, is it better only to reclaim private anonymous pages explicitly?
>> Yes, in practice, we only proactively compress anonymous pages and do not
>> want to touch file pages.
> If that is the case and this is mostly application centric (which you
> seem to be suggesting) then why don't you use madvise(MADV_PAGEOUT)
> instead.
Madvise  may not be applicable in this scenario.(IMO)

This feature is aimed at a core goal, which is to compress the anonymous
pages
of frozen applications.

How to detect that an application is frozen and determine which pages can be
safely reclaimed is the responsibility of the policy part.

Setting madvise for an application is an active behavior, while the
above policy
is a passive approach.(If I misunderstood, please let me know if there
is a better
way to set madvise.)

--
Thanks,