Date:   Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:03:02 -0600
From:   Tom Lendacky <thomas.lendacky@....com>
To:     Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        "Shutemov, Kirill" <kirill.shutemov@...el.com>,
        Ashish Kalra <ashish.kalra@....com>,
        Kai Huang <kai.huang@...el.com>
Cc:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        the arch/x86 maintainers <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: AMD Memory encryption vs. kexec

On 11/27/23 18:00, Dave Hansen wrote:
> Please reply here.
>
> ---
>
> There are two kexec-related wbinvd's:
>
> One for the kexec boot CPU in relocate_kernel() which is driven by
> CC_ATTR_HOST_MEM_ENCRYPT:
>
>>          image->start = relocate_kernel((unsigned long)image->head,
>>                                         (unsigned long)page_list,
>>                                         image->start,
>>                                         image->preserve_context,
>>                                         cc_platform_has(CC_ATTR_HOST_MEM_ENCRYPT));
>
> the other is for non-boot CPUs in stop_this_cpu():
>
>>          if (c->extended_cpuid_level >= 0x8000001f && (cpuid_eax(0x8000001f) & BIT(0)))
>>                  native_wbinvd();
>
> By my reading, the CC_ATTR_HOST_MEM_ENCRYPT is basically a check for
> whether the current kernel has enabled SME but not SEV while the
> stop_this_cpu() site is driven purely by whether the hardware *supports*
> SME.
>
> The whole supposed reason stop_this_cpu() checks CPUID directly is that
> the current kernel SME/SEV enabling might not match the _next_ kernel's
> enabling choices.

Correct.

> So, why is a _current_ kernel check OK for relocate_kernel(), but not OK
> for stop_this_cpu()?

The relocate_kernel() check provides an indication of whether SME is
actually active. The kexec kernel is placed in unencrypted memory to match
how the system was booted - where the kernel is loaded into unencrypted
memory and then encrypted in-place if SME is desired (mem_encrypt=on).
Since the kexec kernel will be unencrypted, the cc_platform_has() call is
used to indicate whether to perform a wbinvd to remove encrypted cache
line entries. If SME is not active, then there is no need to flush caches
prior to booting the kexec kernel.

With SEV, the kernel is loaded encrypted from the start and so the kexec
kernel can remain in encrypted memory and no wbinvd is required.

Thanks,
Tom