Date:   Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:27:47 +0100
From:   Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>
To:     "Kris Karas (Bug Reporting)" <bugs-a21@...nlit-rail.com>
Cc:     Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@...il.com>,
        linux-bluetooth@...r.kernel.org, regressions@...ts.linux.dev,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>,
        Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...il.com>,
        Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@...il.com>,
        Zach <zacheryvig@...look.com>
Subject: Re: Regression: Inoperative bluetooth, Intel chipset, mainline kernel
 6.6.2+

Dear Kris,

Am 01.12.23 um 09:19 schrieb Kris Karas (Bug Reporting):
> Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>> Kris Karas (Bug Reporting) wrote:
>>> I have a regression going from mainline kernel 6.1.62 to 6.1.63, and
>>> also
>>> from kernel 6.6.1 to 6.6.2; I can bisect if patch authors can't
>>> locate the
>>> relevant commit.  In the most recent kernels mentioned, bluetooth won't
>>> function.
>>
>> Then please do bisection; without it, nobody will look into this
>> properly.
>
> As only a few people are reporting this, it must be pretty
> hardware-specific (or perhaps Kconfig/firmware specific).  I'll do a
> bisect.  A bit too late here in Boston (03:00), and kiddo's birthday
> "later today", so will probably get to this on the weekend.
>
>> You may also want to check current mainline (v6.7-rc3) to see if this
>> regression have already been fixed.
>
> Just tried 6.7.0-rc3, and it is also affected.
>
> I hadn't git-pulled my linux-stable since May, so that gave me a good
> chance to test the very latest.  :-)  And conveniently I'm now set for
> the bisect.

Nice, that is often the fastest way to fix something.

To avoid the time rebooting the system, you could try to expose the
drive to a virtual machine [1].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/331ae35c-7d48-46fc-c4ae-1e60cb0f3378@molgen.mpg.de/
      (The failure in the VM was due to another regression in the Linux
kernel, so the how-to actually worked for me.)