Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:39:51 +0200
From: Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...nel.org>
To: Clayton Craft <clayton@...ftyguy.net>
Cc: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>, x86@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-efi@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>, regressions@...ts.linux.dev
Subject: Re: x86_64 32-bit EFI mixed mode boot broken

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 21:34, Clayton Craft <clayton@...ftyguy.net> wrote:

> March 22, 2024 at 11:30 AM, "Ard Biesheuvel" <ardb@...nel.org> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 19:57, Clayton Craft <clayton@...ftyguy.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have pushed a branch below that reverts the patch you identified in
> >
> > 4 separate steps. Could you please check which step makes your system
> >
> > boot again?
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ardb/linux.git/log/?h=efi-clayton
> >

> Thanks a lot for doing this, I really appreciate the help!
>
> It looks like if I build from 868a7245, booting breaks again on my Bay Trail systems. If I put back 00e85ab5, they boot again.

OK.

I have reshuffled the branch and put the patch you identified as the
one fixing the boot first. Please double check whether this change
still fixes the boot for you.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ardb/linux.git/log/?h=efi-clayton-2

If so, we can try applying it to mainline, and merge it if it works there too.

If not, we will need better debugging to figure out what the hell is going on.