Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:08:49 +0100
From: Paul Barker <paul.barker.ct@...renesas.com>
To: Niklas Söderlund <niklas.soderlund+renesas@...natech.se>
Cc: Sergey Shtylyov <s.shtylyov@....ru>, "David S. Miller"
 <davem@...emloft.net>, Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
 Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
 Geert Uytterhoeven <geert+renesas@...der.be>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-renesas-soc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [net-next RFC v3 2/7] net: ravb: Align poll function with NAPI
 docs

On 15/04/2024 12:44, Niklas Söderlund wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your work.
>
> On 2024-04-15 10:47:59 +0100, Paul Barker wrote:
>> Call napi_complete_done() in accordance with the documentation in
>> `Documentation/networking/napi.rst`.
>
> The way I understand it napi_complete() is still OK to use, it's just a
> wrapper for napi_complete_done(napi, 0). But of course using
> napi_complete_done() is better if you want to use the busypolling status
> returned. Maybe the commit message can be updated to reflect this
> change, how about?
>
>     net: ravb: Consider busypolling status when re-enabling interrupts
>
>     Make use of the busypolling status returned from NAPI complete to decide
>     if interrupts shall be re-enabled or not. This is useful to reduce the
>     interrupt overhead.
>
>     While at it switch to using napi_complete_done() as it take into account
>     the work done when providing the busypolling status.

That sounds good to me, especially as the motivation for this change was
to support busy polling/software IRQ coalescing. I'll update the commit
message in the next version of the series.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker
Download attachment "OpenPGP_0x27F4B3459F002257.asc" of type "application/pgp-keys" (3521 bytes)

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (237 bytes)