Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:14:05 +0530
From: Vasant Hegde <vashegde@....com>
To: Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@....com>, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>
Cc: Eric Wagner <ewagner12@...il.com>, Joerg Roedel <joro@...tes.org>,
 Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>,
 Suravee Suthikulpanit <suravee.suthikulpanit@....com>,
 iommu@...ts.linux.dev, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Kernel 6.7 regression doesn't boot if using AMD eGPU

Robin,

On 4/16/2024 4:55 PM, Robin Murphy wrote:
> On 2024-04-16 1:39 am, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

../...

> "Failing" iommu_probe_device is merely how we tell ourselves that we're not
> interested in a device, and consequently tell the rest of the kernel it doesn't
> have an IOMMU (via device_iommu_mapped() returning false). This is normal and
> expected for devices which legitimately have no IOMMU in the first place;
> conversely we don't do a great deal for unexpected failures since those
> typically represent system-fatal conditions whatever we might try to do. We've
> never had much of a notion of expected failures when an IOMMU *is* present, but
> even then, denying any trace of the IOMMU and removing ourselves from the
> picture is clearly not the ideal way to approach that. We're running off a bus
> notifier (or even later), so ultimately our return value is meaningless; at that
> point the device already exists and has been added to its bus, we can't undo that.
>
> However it looks to be even more fun if failure occurs in *deferred* default
> domain creation via bus_iommu_probe(), since then we give up and dismiss the
> entire IOMMU. Except the x86 drivers ignore the return from
> iommu_device_register(), so further hilarity ensues...
>
> I think I've now satisfied myself that a simple fix for the core code is
> appropriate and will write that up now; one other thing I couldn't quite figure
> out is whether the AMD driver somehow prevents PASIDs being used while the group
> is attached to a non-identity (and non-nested) domain - that's probably one for
> Vasant to confirm.

AMD driver supports PASID with below domain type :
   - Identity domain
   - DMA translation mode (DMA and DMA_FQ) with AMD v2 page table
(amd_iommu=pgtbl_v2).

Currently amd_iommu_def_domain_type() tries to put PASID capable devices in
identity domain mode. This is something to fix. Its in my TODO list. I will try
to get into it soon.

Hope this clarifies.

-Vasant