Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 09:07:55 +0200
From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968@...glemail.com>
To: "Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>
Cc: linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, stable@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, regressions@...mhuis.info,
 regressions@...ts.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Kernel 6.8.4 regression: aacraid controller not initialized any
 more, system boot hangs

Hi Martin,

meanwhile, some more people who face the same problem have been gathering in this thread
in the Proxmox user forum:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-8-2-kernel-6-8-4-2-does-not-boot-cannot-find-root-device.145764/

Two of them also have an Adaptec controller, while another one has a PERC H310 Mini (LSI
based).

Did you have any chance to look into this in more depth? Do you need more information from
me to tackle this issue? I'm not a kernel developer, just a user, but I guess with proper
instruction I would be able to compile and test patches.

Beste Grüße,
Peter Schneider

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,

Download: https://www.peters-netzplatz.de/download/pschneider1968_pub.asc
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=pschneider1968@googlemail.com
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=pschneider1968@gmail.com

Am 09.05.2024 um 03:38 schrieb Martin K. Petersen:

> Hi Peter!
>
> Thanks for the detailed bug report.
>
>> 6.8.8+          WORKS   Revert "scsi: core: Consult supported VPD page
>> list prior to fetching page" - This reverts commit
>> b5fc07a5fb56216a49e6c1d0b172d5464d99a89b (this is the first bad commit
>> of my bisect session, see below, and a single patch as part of the
>> above merged tag 'scsi-fixes')
>
> The puzzling thing is that the patch in question restores the original
> behavior in which we do not attempt to query any pages not explicitly
> reported by the device.
>
> Can you please send me the output of:
>
> # sg_vpd -a /dev/sda
> # sg_readcap -l /dev/sda
>
> where sda is one of the aacraid volumes.
>
> Thanks!

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (237 bytes)