Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 15:38:45 -0400
From: Peter Xu <peterx@...hat.com>
To: Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>
Cc: cve@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-cve-announce@...r.kernel.org,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: CVE-2024-36000: mm/hugetlb: fix missing hugetlb_lock for resv
 uncharge

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 05:14:58PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> Peter,

Hi, Michal,

> does b76b46902c2d ("mm/hugetlb: fix missing hugetlb_lock for resv
> uncharge") really have any security implications? I fail to see any but
> UFFD is not really my area so I might be missing something very easily.

AFAIU that issue wasn't userfault specific, but a generic issue for hugetlb
- I believe that can also trigger in other paths whoever try to call
alloc_hugetlb_folio(), and UFFDIO_COPY is one user of it.

I looked at that and provided a fix only because the report originated from
the uffd report, so Andrew normally pointing those to me, and since I
looked anyway I tried to fix that.

Here in general what I can see is that the lock is needed since this
commit:

    commit 94ae8ba7176666d1e7d8bbb9f93670a27540b6a8
    Author: Aneesh Kumar K.V <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
    Date:   Tue Jul 31 16:42:35 2012 -0700

    hugetlb/cgroup: assign the page hugetlb cgroup when we move the page to active list.

That commit mentioned that we rely on the lock to make sure all hugetlb
folios on the active list will have a valid memcg.  However I'm not sure
whether it's still required now (after all that's 2012..), e.g., I'm
looking at hugetlb_cgroup_css_offline(), and hugetlb_cgroup_move_parent()
looks all safe to even take empty memcg folios with the latest code at
least:

	/*
	 * We can have pages in active list without any cgroup
	 * ie, hugepage with less than 3 pages. We can safely
	 * ignore those pages.
	 */
	if (!page_hcg || page_hcg != h_cg)
		goto out;

In short, I don't know any further security implications on this problem
besides LOCKDEP enabled.  But I don't think I fully understand the hugetlb
reservation code, so please just take that with a grain of salt.  E.g.,
right now we do the hugetlb_cgroup_uncharge_folio_rsvd(), then could it
happen that this folio will still be used finally and got injected into the
pgtables (after all, alloc_hugetlb_folio() will still return this folio to
the caller with a success), and would that be a problem if this folio has
its _hugetlb_cgroup_rsvd==NULL?  That looks like another question besides
this specific problem, though..

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu