Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 11:55:01 +0300
From: Mika Westerberg <mika.westerberg@...ux.intel.com>
To: Gia <giacomo.gio@...il.com>
Cc: Mario Limonciello <mario.limonciello@....com>,
	Christian Heusel <christian@...sel.eu>,
	"stable@...r.kernel.org" <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
	"kernel@...ha.zone" <kernel@...ha.zone>,
	Andreas Noever <andreas.noever@...il.com>,
	Michael Jamet <michael.jamet@...el.com>,
	Yehezkel Bernat <YehezkelShB@...il.com>,
	"linux-usb@...r.kernel.org" <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	Benjamin Böhmke <benjamin@...hmke.net>,
	"S, Sanath" <Sanath.S@....com>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] "xHCI host controller not responding,
 assume dead" on stable kernel > 6.8.7

Hi,

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 10:07:23AM +0200, Gia wrote:
> Thank you Mika,
>
> Here you have the output of sudo journalctl -k without enabling the
> kernel option "pcie_aspm=off": https://codeshare.io/7JPgpE. Without
> "pcie_aspm=off", "thunderbolt.host_reset=false" is not needed, my
> thunderbolt dock does work. I also connected a 4k monitor to the
> thunderbolt dock thinking it could provide more data.
>
> I'm almost sure I used this option when I set up this system because
> it solved some issues with system suspending, but it happened many
> months ago.

Okay. I recommend not to use it. The defaults should always be the best
option (unless you really know what you are doing or working around some
issue).

The dmesg you shared looks good, there are few oddities but they should
not matter from functional perspective (unless you are planning to have
a second monitor connected).

First is this:

  May 21 09:59:40 um773arch kernel: thunderbolt 0000:36:00.5: IOMMU DMA protection is disabled

It should really be enabled but I'm not familiar with AMD hardware to
tell more so hoping Mario can comment on that.

The second thing is the USB4 link that seems to be degraded to 2x10G =
20G even though you say it is a Thunderbolt cable. I'll comment more on
that in the other email.