Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 11:20:47 +0200
From: Jonas Oberhauser <jonas.oberhauser@...weicloud.com>
To: Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc: Hernan Ponce de Leon <hernan.poncedeleon@...weicloud.com>,
 "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, kernel-team@...a.com, parri.andrea@...il.com,
 boqun.feng@...il.com, j.alglave@....ac.uk, luc.maranget@...ia.fr,
 Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>
Subject: Re: LKMM: Making RMW barriers explicit

Am 5/21/2024 um 5:36 PM schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 11:57:29AM +0200, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> What about failed RMW instructions?  IIRC, herd7 generates just an R for
> these, not both R and W, but won't it still be annotated with an mb tag?
> And wasn't this matter of failed RMWs one of the issues that the two of
> you specifically wanted to make explicit in the memory model, rather
> than implicit in the operation of herd7?

That's why we use the RMW_MB tag. I should have copied that definition too:

(* full barrier events that appear in non-failing RMW *)
let RMW_MB = Mb & (dom(rmw) | range(rmw))

This ensures that the only successful rmw instructions have an RMW_MB tag.

> And wasn't another one of these issues the difference between
> value-returning and non-value-returning RMWs?  As far as I can, nothing
> in the .def file specifically mentions this.  There's the noreturn tag
> in the .bell file, but nothing in the .def file says which instructions
> it applies to.  Or are we supposed to know that it automatically applies
> to all __atomic_op() instances?

Ah, now you're already forestalling my next suggestion :))

I would say let's fix one issue at a time (learned this from Andrea).

For the other issue, do noreturn rmws always have the same ordering as once?

I suspect we need to extend herd slightly more to support the second
one, I don't know if there's syntax for passing tags to __atomic_op.

>>> Okay, good.  This answers the first part of what I asked.  What about
>>> the second part?  That is, how will the changes to the .def, .bell, and
>>> .cat files achieve your goals?
>>>
>>> Alan
>>

>> Firstly, we'd allow 'mb as a barrier mode in events, e.g.
>
> You mean as a mode in RMW events.  'mb already is a mode for F events.

Thanks, you're right.

>> instructions RMW[{'once,'acquire,'release,'mb}]
>>
>> then the Mb tags would appear in the graph. And then I'd define the ordering
>> explicitly. One way is to say that an Mb tag orders all memory accesses
>> before(or at) the tag with all memory accesses after(or at) the tag, except
>> the accesses of the rmw with each other.
>
> I don't think you need to add very much.  The .cat file already defines
> the mb relation as including the term:
>
> 	([M] ; fencerel(Mb) ; [M])
>
> All that's needed is to replace the fencerel(Mb) with something more
> general...
>
>> This is the same as the full fence before the read, which orders all memory
>> accesses before the read with every access after(or at) the read,
>> plus the full fence after the write, which orders all memory accesses
>> before(or at) the write with all accesses after the write.
>>
>> That would be done by adding
>>
>>       [M] ; (po \ rmw) & (po^?; [RMW_MB] ; po^?) ; [M]
>
> .. like this.
>
>> to ppo.
>
> You need to update the definition of mb, not ppo.

Yes, I meant to update the definition of mb, but I momentarily thought
the effect of that is just that

ppo_new = ppo_old |  [M] ; (po \ rmw) & (po^?; [RMW_MB] ; po^?) ; [M]

I forgot that extending mb has another effect, in pb.

>  And the RMW_MB above
> looks wrong; shouldn't it be just Mb?

As discussed above, no, since the Mb will also be on the failed RMW.

> Also, is the "\ rmw" part really necessary?  I don't think it makes any
> difference; the memory model already knows that the read part of an RMW
> has to happen before the write part.

It unfortunately does make a difference, because mb is a strong fence.
This means that an Mb in an rmw sequence would create additional pb edges.

   prop;(rfe ; [Mb];rmw;[Mb])

I believe this is might give wrong results on powerpc, but I'd need to
double check.

>> One could also split it into two rules to keep with the "two full fences"
>> analogy. Maybe a good way would be like this:
>>
>>       [M] ; po; [RMW_MB & R] ; po^? ; [M]
>>
>>       [M] ; po^?; [RMW_MB & W] ; po ; [M]
>
> My preference is for the first approach.

That was also my early preference, but to be honest I expected that
you'd prefer the second approach.
Actually, I also started warming up to it.

Have fun,
  jonas