Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 14:54:05 +0200
From: Jonas Oberhauser <jonas.oberhauser@...weicloud.com>
To: Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc: Hernan Ponce de Leon <hernan.poncedeleon@...weicloud.com>,
 "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, kernel-team@...a.com, parri.andrea@...il.com,
 boqun.feng@...il.com, j.alglave@....ac.uk, luc.maranget@...ia.fr,
 Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>
Subject: Re: LKMM: Making RMW barriers explicit

Am 5/22/2024 um 4:20 PM schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 11:20:47AM +0200, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

>>> What about failed RMW instructions?  IIRC, herd7 generates just an R for
>>> these, not both R and W, but won't it still be annotated with an mb tag?
>>> And wasn't this matter of failed RMWs one of the issues that the two of
>>> you specifically wanted to make explicit in the memory model, rather
>>> than implicit in the operation of herd7?
>>
>> That's why we use the RMW_MB tag. I should have copied that definition too:
>>

>> (* full barrier events that appear in non-failing RMW *)
>> let RMW_MB = Mb & (dom(rmw) | range(rmw))
>>

>> This ensures that the only successful rmw instructions have an RMW_MB tag.
>
> It would be better if there was a way to tell herd7 not to add the 'mb
> tag to failed instructions in the first place.  This approach is
> brittle; see below.

Hernan told me that in fact that is actually currently the case in
herd7. Failing RMW get assigned the Once tag implicitly.
Another thing that I'd suggest to change.

> An alternative would be to have a way for the .cat file to remove the
> 'mb tag from a failed RMW instruction.  But I don't know if this is
> feasible.

For Mb it's feasible, as there is no Mb read or Mb store.

Mb = Mb & (~M | dom(rmw) | range(rmw))

However one would want to do the same for Acq and Rel.

For that one would need to distinguish e.g. between a read that comes
from a failed rmw instruction, and where the tag would disappear, or a
normal standalone read.

For example, by using two different acquire tags, 'acquire and
'rmw-acquire, and defining

Acquire = Acquire | Rmw-acquire & (dom(rmw) | range(rmw))

Anyways we can do this change independently. So for now, we don't need
RMW_MB.

>>> And wasn't another one of these issues the difference between
>>> value-returning and non-value-returning RMWs?  As far as I can, nothing
>>> in the .def file specifically mentions this.  There's the noreturn tag
>>> in the .bell file, but nothing in the .def file says which instructions
>>> it applies to.  Or are we supposed to know that it automatically applies
>>> to all __atomic_op() instances?
>>
>> Ah, now you're already forestalling my next suggestion :))
>>
>> I would say let's fix one issue at a time (learned this from Andrea).
>>
>> For the other issue, do noreturn rmws always have the same ordering as once?
>
> If they aren't annotated with _acquire or _release then yes...  And I
> don't know whether there _are_ any annotated no-return RMWs.  If
> somebody wanted such a thing, they probably would just use a
> value-returning RMW instead.
>
>> I suspect we need to extend herd slightly more to support the second one, I
>> don't know if there's syntax for passing tags to __atomic_op.
>
> This may not be be needed.  But still, it would nice to be explicit (in
> a comment in the .def file if nowhere else) that __atomic_op always adds
> a 'noreturn tag.

>>> I don't think you need to add very much.  The .cat file already defines
>>> the mb relation as including the term:
>>>
>>> 	([M] ; fencerel(Mb) ; [M])
>>>
>>> All that's needed is to replace the fencerel(Mb) with something more
>>> general...
>
> And this is why I said the RMW_MB mechanism is brittle.  With the 'mb
> tag still added to failed RMW events, the term above will cause the
> memory model to think there is ordering even though the event isn't in
> the RMW_MB class.

Huh, I thought that fencerel(Mb) is something like po ; [F & Mb] ; po
(where F includes standalone fences). But looking into the stdlib.cat,
you're right.

>>> Also, is the "\ rmw" part really necessary?  I don't think it makes any
>>> difference; the memory model already knows that the read part of an RMW
>>> has to happen before the write part.
>>
>> It unfortunately does make a difference, because mb is a strong fence.
>> This means that an Mb in an rmw sequence would create additional pb edges.
>>
>>    prop;(rfe ; [Mb];rmw;[Mb])
>>
>> I believe this is might give wrong results on powerpc, but I'd need to
>> double check.
>
> PowerPC uses a load-reserve/store-conditional approach for RMW, so it's
> tricky.  However, you're right that having a fictitious mb between the
> read and the write of an RMW would mean that the preceding (in coherence
> order) write would have to be visible to all CPUs before the RMW write
> could execute, and I don't believe we want to assert this.

>>> My preference is for the first approach.
>>
>> That was also my early preference, but to be honest I expected that you'd
>> prefer the second approach.
>> Actually, I also started warming up to it.
>
> If you do want to use this approach, it should be simplified.  All you
> need is:
>
> 	[M] ; po ; [RMW_MB]
>
> 	[RMW_MB] ; po ; [M]
>
> This is because events tagged with RMW_MB always are memory accesses,
> and accesses that aren't part of the RMW are already covered by the
> fencerel(Mb) thing above.

This has exactly the issue mentioned above - it will cause the rmw to
have an internal strong fence that on powerpc probably isn't there.

We could do (with the assumption that Mb applies only to successful rmw):

  	[M] ; po ; [Mb & R]
  	[Mb & W] ; po ; [M]

Kind regards, jonas