Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 00:37:57 -0700
From: Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>
To: Ian Rogers <irogers@...gle.com>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>, Leo Yan <leo.yan@...ux.dev>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
	Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@...el.com>, Clark Williams <williams@...hat.com>,
	Kate Carcia <kcarcia@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-perf-users@...r.kernel.org, Anne Macedo <retpolanne@...teo.net>,
	Bhaskar Chowdhury <unixbhaskar@...il.com>, Ethan Adams <j.ethan.adams@...il.com>,
	James Clark <james.clark@....com>, Kan Liang <kan.liang@...ux.intel.com>,
	Thomas Richter <tmricht@...ux.ibm.com>, Tycho Andersen <tycho@...ho.pizza>,
	Yang Jihong <yangjihong@...edance.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] perf tools changes for v6.10

Hi guys,

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 9:20 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2024 at 20:48, Ian Rogers <irogers@...gle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the report. TL;DR try putting the PMU name with the event
> > name, so "cycles:pp" becomes "armv8_pmuv3_0/cycles/pp", where
> > armv8_pmuv3_0 is the name of the PMU from /sys/devices.
>
> What? No.
>
> If that is the new rule, then I'm just going to revert. I'm not going
> to use some random different PMU names across architectures when all I
> want is just "cycles".
>
> In fact, the "cycles:pp" is a complete red herring. Just doing a simple
>
>  $ perf record sleep 1
>
> with no explicit expression at all, results in that same
>
>   Error:
>   cycles:P: PMU Hardware doesn't support sampling/overflow-interrupts.
> Try 'perf stat'
>
> because perf *ITSELF* uses the sane format by default.

Yep, so I'm curious what makes it fail.  IIUC the commit in question
would convert "cycles" event to "${whatever_pmu}/cycles/" if the pmu
has "events/cycles" alias in sysfs or in JSON.  But it should work after
that too. :(

It seems my system doesn't have the alias (both in x86_64 and arm64)
at least in sysfs.  I think that's why I don't see the failure and maybe
there's a specific hardware issue - like a M1 macbook issue?  IIRC it
required the exclude_guest bit to be set, but I think we handled it already
so this must be a different issue.

The error message is for EOPNOTSUPP, and I don't think it will set any
special attributes for the default event.  So I have no clue yet..

Thanks,
Namhyung