Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 17:37:12 -0700
From: John Johansen <john.johansen@...onical.com>
To: Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@...il.com>
Cc: Neeraj Upadhyay <Neeraj.Upadhyay@....com>, paul@...l-moore.com,
 jmorris@...ei.org, serge@...lyn.com, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Gautham R. Shenoy" <gautham.shenoy@....com>,
 "Shukla, Santosh" <Santosh.Shukla@....com>,
 "Narayan, Ananth" <Ananth.Narayan@....com>,
 raghavendra.kodsarathimmappa@....com, koverstreet@...gle.com,
 paulmck@...nel.org, boqun.feng@...il.com, vinicius.gomes@...el.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/9] Nginx refcount scalability issue with Apparmor enabled
 and potential solutions

On 5/28/24 06:29, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 11:52 PM John Johansen
> <john.johansen@...onical.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/24/24 14:10, Mateusz Guzik wrote:

>>> So where do we stand here?
>>>
>> sorry I am still trying to dig out of my backlog, I will look at this,
>> this weekend.
>>

> How was the weekend? ;)

lets say it was busy. Have I looked at this, yes. I am still digesting it.
I don't have objections to moving towards percpu refcounts, but the overhead
of a percpu stuct per label is a problem when we have thousands of labels
on the system. That is to say, this would have to be a config option. We
moved buffers from kmalloc to percpu to reduce memory overhead to reduce
contention. The to percpu, to a global pool because the percpu overhead was
too high for some machines, and then from a global pool to a hybrid scheme
because of global lock contention. I don't see a way of doing that with the
label, which means a config would be the next best thing.

Not part of your patch but something to be considered is that the label tree
needs a rework, its locking needs to move to read side a read side lock less
scheme, and the plan was to make it also use a linked list such that new
labels are always queued at the end, allowing dynamically created labels to
be lazily added to the tree.

I see the use of the kworker as problematic as well, especially if we are
talking using kconfig to switch reference counting modes. I am futzing with
some ideas, on how to deal with this.

Like I said I am still digesting.