Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 16:07:22 +0200
From: Denis Benato <benato.denis96@...il.com>
To: Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>
Cc: Jonathan Cameron <jic23@...nel.org>, Lars-Peter Clausen
 <lars@...afoo.de>, linux-iio@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
 Jagath Jog J <jagathjog1996@...il.com>,
 Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@...gutronix.de>,
 "Luke D . Jones" <luke@...nes.dev>, Jonathan LoBue <jlobue10@...il.com>
Subject: Re: iio: iio-trig-hrtimer bug on suspend/resume when used with bmi160
 and bmi323

On 1/15/24 10:37, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:04:12 +0100
> Denis Benato <benato.denis96@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/13/24 18:46, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

>>> me too.
>> who and how should investigate this issue? Would putting a kprintf in the hrtimer callback be enough to check?
> The warning you have pretty much points at this being the problem, but sure
> you could add a print there to be absolutely sure.
>

>> Just to make sure I understood correctly: is this a separate issue from the warning I receive or are those linked?
>
> I think it's all one issue.
Hello,

Sorry for the delay, I was able to find some time just recently.

Sadly I don't think anymore this is just one issue:

I have setup a proof of concept that at suspend sets a boolean to true and at resume sets the same boolean to false, and on trigger_handler returns IRQ_NONE if the device is sleeping (everything guarded by an additional mutex) and it solved the warning: no more regmap access are being performed after the device is put to sleep, but unfortunately the acquisition does not automatically resume after waking up the device.

How shall we proceed?

> [...]
>>> about this particular case.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, so I think what is going on is fairly simple.
>>>
>>> There is no way for a driver to indicate to a trigger provided by a separate
>>> module / hardware device that it should stop triggering data capture.
>>> The driver in question doesn't block data capture when suspended, which
>>> would be easy enough to add but doesn't feel like the right solution.
>>>
>>> So my initial thought is that we should add suspend and resume callbacks to
>>> iio_trigger_ops and call them manually from iio device drivers in their
>>> suspend and resume callbacks.  These would simply pause whatever the
>>> trigger source was so that no attempts are made to trigger the use of
>>> the device when it is suspended.
>>>
>>> It gets a little messy though as triggers can be shared between
>>> multiple devices so we'd need to reference count suspend and resume
>>> for the trigger to make sure we only resume once all consumers of
>>> the trigger have said they are ready to cope with triggers again.
>>>
>>> As mentioned, the alternative would be to block the triggers at ingress
>>> to the bmi323 and bmi160 drivers.  There may be a helpful pm flag that could
>>> be used but if not, then setting an is_suspended flag under the data->mutex
>>> to avoid races. and reading it in the trigger_handler to decide whether
>>> to talk to the device should work.
>> I was thinking of doing this too, but I don't know if adding a mutex to frequently invoked functions is going to introduce some timing problems and so I was waiting for some comments on that matter. If nothing bad is expected I can surely try it.
>>>
>>> I'd kind of like the generic solution of actually letting the trigger
>>> know, but not sure how much work it would turn out to be.  Either way there
>>> are a lot of drivers to fix this problem in as in theory most triggers can
>>> be used with most drivers that support buffered data capture.
>>> There may also be fun corners where a hardware trigger from one IIO
>>> device A is being used by another B and the suspend timing is such that B
>>> finishing with the trigger results in A taking an action (in the try_reenable
>>> callback) that could result in bus traffic.
>>> That one is going to be much more fiddly to handle than the simpler case
>>> you have run into.
>> Since more and more handheld PCs are coming and provided many vendors such as
>> asus tends to improve what they did built on previous generations I think a
>> general solution would be desirable.
>>
>> Plus there are handheld PCs that does not yet have a driver (bmi270) or are
>> using an existing one and it would be very difficult to fix it in every of
>> them as of now, in the future I fear it will become almost impossible or
>> extremely time consuming as market expands.
>
> Both solutions require specific calls to be added to every driver that might
> encounter this - so most drivers that support triggers other than the ones
> they supply.
>

>>> Thanks for the detailed bug report btw.   To get it fixed a few
>>> 1) Are you happy to test proposed fixes?
>>> 2) Do you want to have a go at fixing it yourself? (I'd suggest trying
>>>    the fix in the bmi323 driver first rather than looking at the other
>>>    solution)
>>>    If we eventually implement the more general version, then a bmi323
>>>    additional protection against this problem would not be a problem.
>>>
>>> Clearly I'd like the answers to be yes to both questions, but up to you!
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>> Hello Jonathan and thank you kindly for you answer,
>>
>> I am very interested in the iio ecosystem as in those aforementioned
>> handheld PCs the gyroscope plays the role as a mouse so it's a pretty
>> important input device.
>>
>> I am writing to lkml not just as a single developer, but as part of a
>>  larger community in this matter: this means we will be able to test
>> any solution and in more than just one hardware.
>>
>> To answers your questions:
>> 1) yes, we all will be very happy to
>> 2) as I am very busy right now I might be unable to do that immediately,
>> but I will surely do it if one general solution cannot be found or is impractical.
>>
>> As of my limited knowledge the number of drivers now existing that are affected
>> are 2, and the number of drivers that will be affected, once the driver is
>> written, will be at least 3.
>
> The problem appears to be general unfortunately.
>
> I'll have to see if I can fire up something where I can actually test solutions
> and I'm afraid I also don't have a lot of time at the moment.
> Perhaps I can find time in the next few weeks to hack together a prototype
> for one of the drivers you can test.
>
> Jonathan
>

>> Thank you very much for your answer,
>> Denis