Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 12:33:31 +0100
From: Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
To: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>
Cc: Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@...ux.dev>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-bcachefs@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs updates fro 6.10-rc1

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 12:10:31PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Sun, 2024-05-19 at 23:52 -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:

> > I also do (try to) post patches to the list that are doing something
> > interesting and worth discussion; the vast majority this cycle has
> > been boring syzbot crap...

> you still don't say what problem not posting most patches solves?  You
> imply it would slow you down, but getting git-send-email to post to a
> mailing list can actually be automated through a pre-push commit hook
> with no slowdown in the awesome rate at which you apply patches to your
> own tree.

> Linux kernel process exists because it's been found to work over time.
> That's not to say it can't be changed, but it usually requires at least
> some stab at a reason before that happens.

Even if no meaningful review ever happens on the actual posts there's
still utility in having the patches on a list and findable in lore,
since everything is normally on the list people end up with workflows
that assume that they'll be able to find things there.  For example it's
common for test people who identify which patch introduces an issue to
grab the patch from lore in order to review any discussion of the patch,
then report by replying to the patch to help with context for their
report and get some help with figuring out a CC list.  Posting costs
very little and makes people's lives easier.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (489 bytes)