Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2024 15:43:43 -0700
From: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>
To: David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
Cc: Peter Xu <peterx@...hat.com>, Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
	kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
	Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>,
	Vivek Kasireddy <vivek.kasireddy@...el.com>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...riel.com>, oe-lkp@...ts.linux.dev,
	lkp@...el.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
	Christopher Lameter <cl@...ux.com>, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [linus:master] [mm] efa7df3e3b:
 kernel_BUG_at_include/linux/page_ref.h

On Mon, Jun 03, 2024 at 11:05:44PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> > > Yes, absolutely.

> > > My point is primarily that we should be clear that the one thing is
> > > GUP-fast, and the other is for GUP-slow.
> >
> > Yes, understood.
> >

> > > Sooner or later we'll see more code that uses try_grab_page() to be
> > > converted to folios, and people might naturally use try_grab_folio(), just
> > > like we did with Vivik's code.
> > >
> > > And I don't think we'll want to make GUP-slow in general using
> > > try_grab_folio() in the future.
> > >
> > > So ...

> > > ... for the sake of fixing this WARN, I don't primarily care. Adjusting the
> > > TINY_RCU feels wrong because I suspect somebody had good reasons to do it
> > > like that, and it actually reported something valuable (using the wrong
> > > function for the job).
> > >
> > > In any case, if we take the easy route to fix the WARN, I'll come back and
> > > clean the functions here up properly.
> >
> > Definitely, then there can also be some measurements which will be even
> > better.  I mean, if the diff is minimal, we can be clearer on the path we
> > choose; while if it shows improvements we have more solid results than
> > predictions and discussions.
> >
> > Yes I do worry about the UP change too, hence I sincerely was trying to
> > collect some feedback.  My current guess is the UP was still important in
> > 2008 when the code first wrote, and maybe it changed over the 16 years. I
> > just notice Nicolas wrote it; I know he's still active so I've added him
> > into the loop too.
> >
> > Just for easier reference, the commit introduced the UP change is:
> >
> > commit e286781d5f2e9c846e012a39653a166e9d31777d
> > Author: Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>
> > Date:   Fri Jul 25 19:45:30 2008 -0700
> >
> >      mm: speculative page references
> >
> > +static inline int page_cache_get_speculative(struct page *page)
> > +{
> > +       VM_BUG_ON(in_interrupt());
> > +
> > +#if !defined(CONFIG_SMP) && defined(CONFIG_CLASSIC_RCU)
> > +# ifdef CONFIG_PREEMPT
> > +       VM_BUG_ON(!in_atomic());
> > +# endif
> > +       /*
> > +        * Preempt must be disabled here - we rely on rcu_read_lock doing
> > +        * this for us.
> > +        *
> > +        * Pagecache won't be truncated from interrupt context, so if we have
> > +        * found a page in the radix tree here, we have pinned its refcount by
> > +        * disabling preempt, and hence no need for the "speculative get" that
> > +        * SMP requires.
> > +        */
> > +       VM_BUG_ON(page_count(page) == 0);
> > +       atomic_inc(&page->_count);
> > +
> > +#else
> > +       if (unlikely(!get_page_unless_zero(page))) {
> > +               /*
> > +                * Either the page has been freed, or will be freed.
> > +                * In either case, retry here and the caller should
> [...]

It is currently an atomic operation either way, though the folio_ref_add()
avoids full ordering, but that is immaterial on x86.  Some say that it is
in the noise on server-class ARMv8 as well, though they have also said
a great many things in the past.  But if that is true, the big benefit
of the TINY_RCU check is that folio_ref_try_add_rcu() is guaranted not
to fail in that case (single CPU with preemption disabled).  Except that
everyone has to check the return value anyway, right?

So the usual advice, unsatisfying though it might be, is to remove that
#ifdef and see if anyone notices.

After all, both 2013 and 2008 were quite some time ago.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul