Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 11:53:39 -0600
From: Yu Zhao <yuzhao@...gle.com>
To: Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@...gle.com>
Cc: Erhard Furtner <erhard_f@...lbox.org>, linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org, Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	Nhat Pham <nphamcs@...il.com>, Chengming Zhou <chengming.zhou@...ux.dev>,
	Sergey Senozhatsky <senozhatsky@...omium.org>, Minchan Kim <minchan@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: kswapd0: page allocation failure: order:0, mode:0x820(GFP_ATOMIC),
 nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0 (Kernel v6.5.9, 32bit ppc)

On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 11:34 AM Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 10:19 AM Yu Zhao <yuzhao@...gle.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for trying this out. The patch reduces the amount of wasted
> > > memory due to the 'zs_handle' and 'zspage' caches by an order of
> > > magnitude, but it was a small number to begin with (~250K).
> > >
> > > I cannot think of other reasons why having multiple zsmalloc pools
> > > will end up using more memory in the 0.25GB zone that the kernel
> > > allocations can be made from.
> > >
> > > The number of zpools can be made configurable or determined at runtime
> > > by the size of the machine, but I don't want to do this without
> > > understanding the problem here first. Adding other zswap and zsmalloc
> > > folks in case they have any ideas.
> >
> > Hi Erhard,
> >
> > If it's not too much trouble, could you "grep nr_zspages /proc/vmstat"
> > on kernels before and after the bad commit? It'd be great if you could
> > run the grep command right before the OOM kills.
> >
> > The overall internal fragmentation of multiple zsmalloc pools might be
> > higher than a single one. I suspect this might be the cause.
>
> I thought about the internal fragmentation of pools, but zsmalloc
> should have access to highmem, and if I understand correctly the
> problem here is that we are running out of space in the DMA zone when
> making kernel allocations.
>
> Do you suspect zsmalloc is allocating memory from the DMA zone
> initially, even though it has access to highmem?

There was a lot of user memory in the DMA zone. So at a point the
highmem zone was full and allocation fallback happened.

The problem with zone fallback is that recent allocations go into
lower zones, meaning they are further back on the LRU list. This
applies to both user memory and zsmalloc memory -- the latter has a
writeback LRU. On top of this, neither the zswap shrinker nor the
zsmalloc shrinker (compaction) is zone aware. So page reclaim might
have trouble hitting the right target zone.

We can't really tell how zspages are distributed across zones, but the
overall number might be helpful. It'd be great if someone could make
nr_zspages per zone :)