Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 10:26:25 +0200
From: Joel Granados <j.granados@...sung.com>
To: Kees Cook <kees@...nel.org>
CC: Thomas Weißschuh <thomas@...ch.de>, Luis Chamberlain
	<mcgrof@...nel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Current state of the sysctl constification effort

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 09:31:24AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 12:50:32PM +0200, Thomas Weißschuh wrote:
> > Hi Joel, Hi Luis,
> >
> > most of the sysctl handler preparation patches have been picked up by
> > the subsystem maintainers and are available in -next.
> >
> > Only two are missing:
> >
> > * utsname: constify ctl_table arguments of utility function [0]
> > * sysctl: constify ctl_table arguments of utility function [1]
> >
> > Both of them are going through the sysctl tree anyways.
>
> This is great! Is the target v6.11 or v6.10 for these?
>
> -Kees
>
> > With this done it should be possible to also queue up
> > sysctl: treewide: constify the ctl_table argument of handlers [2]
> > for the bots to chew on in -next.
@kees: Since you have probably done these before, I'll ask you the
questions:

1. The idea is to send Linus the treewide-constify patch on its own at
   the end of the merge window for 6.11. Right?

2. Is there a special way to send these treewide patches? Or is it just
   a regular PR with an explanation on why it is being done?

3. Can you please send (if there are any) me any examples where this has
   been done in the past. Maybe some lore.kernel.org links?

Best

--

Joel Granados