Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 18:21:24 +0200
From: Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
To: Dave Martin <Dave.Martin@....com>
Cc: linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org,
	Reinette Chatre <reinette.chatre@...el.com>, x86@...nel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip: x86/urgent] x86/resctrl: Don't try to free nonexistent
 RMIDs

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 05:03:03PM +0100, Dave Martin wrote:
> It's still a guideline, no?  (Though I admit that common sense has to
> apply and there are quite often good reasons to bust the limit in
> code.)  But commit messages are not code, and don't suffer from
> creeping indentation that eats up half of each line, so the rationale
> is not really the same.

Just do a "git log" on mainline and marvel at all the possible "formatting".

The ship on being able to read commit messages with formatting that fits what
you're expecting has long sailed.

> Anyway, I was just mildly surprised, it's not a huge deal.

Yeah, we don't have a strict rule. And I don't think you can make everyone
agree and then adhere to some rule for commit messages width. But hey... :-)

> (Quoted: "Text-based e-mail should not exceed 80 columns per line of
> text.  Consult the documentation of your e-mail client to enable proper
> line breaks around column 78.".  No statement about commit messages,
> and "should not exceed" is not the same as "should be wrapped to".
> This document doesn't seem to consider how git formats text derived
> from emails.)

See above.

I'm willing to consider a rule for commit messages if the majority agrees on
some rule.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,