Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 23:12:25 +0200
From: "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@...db.de>
To: "Kees Cook" <kees@...nel.org>, "Jeff Johnson" <quic_jjohnson@...cinc.com>
Cc: linux-hardening@...r.kernel.org,
 "open list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: mips gcc plugin issues

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024, at 22:50, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 04:41:01PM -0700, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> I see the following in my .config:
>> CONFIG_HAVE_GCC_PLUGINS=y
>> CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS=y
>> CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY=y
>> CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_RANDSTRUCT=y
>>
>> So I'll turn those off, but just want to flag that this issue exists.
>> Seems either the plugins should work or the allmodconfig should turn them off.
>
> Well, the plugins work with all the other compiler versions all the
> various CI systems use. :) For example, I don't see this with distro
> cross compilers:
>
> $ mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc --version
> mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu 12.3.0-1ubuntu1) 12.3.0
>
> I suspect this is a problem with the kernel.org crosstool builds? I'm
> CCing Arnd, who might know more about this.

Yes, this is a known problem, and I don't think there is a good
solution for it, compiler plugins on cross-compilers are inherently
fragile.

The problem here is that a gcc plugin links against the
compiler, not against code produced by it. I'm linking the
crosstool compilers statically against libraries as much as
possible in order to make them more portable between distros,
but the downside of that is that plugins will only work in
the environment that I was using to build these toolchains.

My build environment is an older Debian (in order to be
portable to old glibc versions), but with the system compiler
updated to gcc-13 (since x86 libgcc cannot be cross-compiled
with an older compiler).

The long-term solution of course is to replace all the
gcc plugins with some other way of getting the same
features, but that will still take some time.

     Arnd