Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 11:32:49 +0200
From: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@...e.com>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc: cve@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
 "security@...project.org" <security@...project.org>,
 Juergen Gross <jgross@...e.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2021-47573: xen/blkfront: harden blkfront against event
 channel storms

On 20.06.2024 11:20, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 10:46:10AM +0200, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 20.06.2024 10:18, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
>>> Also, the XSA-391 announcement doesn't say anything about them either,
>>> is that intentional?
>>
>> If by announcement you mean the email sent out to xen-security-issues@...ts.xen.org,
>> then the copy I'm looking at (v3, the only one having gone public afaict) clearly
>> lists the three CVEs.
>
> I'm looking at:
> 	https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/advisory-391.html
> and I don't see a git id anywhere, where do you see the v3 announcement
> saying that?

Hmm, okay, I then misunderstood your earlier reply: I was assuming you
were looking for the CVE numbers associated with the XSA, as I thought
that's what you need to know when deciding whether to issue one
yourself. No, we didn't ever mention commit IDs anywhere, except when
issuing XSAs after-the-fact (i.e. changes already having gone in earlier
on). I guess we need to see whether that's feasible to do for Linux XSAs
going forward. Yet then it may not be needed there, as we'd now ask you
for CVE numbers in such cases anyway?

Jan