Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 16:52:46 +0200
From: Bartosz Golaszewski <bartosz.golaszewski@...aro.org>
To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@...il.com>
Cc: Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org>, patchwork-bot+bluetooth@...nel.org,
	Bartosz Golaszewski <brgl@...ev.pl>, marcel@...tmann.org, krzk+dt@...nel.org,
	linux-bluetooth@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	devicetree@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Immutable tag between the Bluetooth and pwrseq
 branches for v6.11-rc1

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 at 16:44, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 10:35 AM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 20/06/2024 16:30, patchwork-bot+bluetooth@...nel.org wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > This pull request was applied to bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git (master)
> > > by Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.von.dentz@...el.com>:

> > > Here is the summary with links:
> > >   - [GIT,PULL] Immutable tag between the Bluetooth and pwrseq branches for v6.11-rc1
> > >     https://git.kernel.org/bluetooth/bluetooth-next/c/4c318a2187f8
> >

> > Luiz,
> >
> > This pulls looks wrong. Are you sure you have correct base? The diffstat
> > suggests you are merging into rc2, not rc3. This will be confusing in
> > merge commit. It is much safer, including possible feedback from Linus,
> > if you use exactly the same base.
>
> So you are saying I need to rebase? I usually only rebase when it
> comes the time to do a pull-request using net-next as a base since
> that is where bluetooth-next normally lands.

Technically you're all set - you pulled rc3 together with my tag. But
if you pulled rc3 separately and then my tag, the merge commit for the
latter would look much cleaner.

And for the record: you don't need to rebase anything. Does net-next
require you to? That would be weird. I assume they also are based on
one of the RC tags. You almost never should rebase on top of an rc,
instead you merge it into your branch and send the PR starting from
the latest rc tag. Git is smart and will figure it out. You may be
afraid you'll "lose" some commits because you will not see it in the
immediate git log. That's true, they will be buried underneath the
pile of Merge commits from upstream, but worry not: git will always
find all commits missing from upstream when you do `git request-pull`.

Bart