Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 16:53:27 +0800
From: Baochen Qiang <quic_bqiang@...cinc.com>
To: Kalle Valo <kvalo@...nel.org>, James Prestwood <prestwoj@...il.com>
CC: Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>, <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
        <ath10k@...ts.infradead.org>, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: invalid vht params rate 1920 100kbps nss 2 mcs 9

On 6/18/2024 6:33 PM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> + baochen
>
> James Prestwood <prestwoj@...il.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Kalle,

>>> More reliable link to the discussion:
>>>
>>> https://lore.kernel.org/ath10k/76a816d983e6c4d636311738396f97971b5523fb.1612915444.git.skhan@linuxfoundation.org/
>>>
>>> I think we should add this workaround I mentioned in 2021:
>>>
>>>     "If the firmware still keeps sending invalid rates we should add a
>>>      specific check to ignore the known invalid values, but not all of
>>>      them."
>>>
>>>     https://lore.kernel.org/ath10k/87h7mktjgi.fsf@codeaurora.org/
>>>
>>> I guess that would be mcs == 7 and rate == 1440?
>>
>> I think its more than this combination (Paul's are different).
>
> Good point.
>
>> So how many combinations are we willing to add here? Seems like that
>> could get out of hand if there are more than a few invalid
>> combinations.
>
> Yeah, but there haven't been that many different values reported yet,
> right? And I expect that ath10k user base will just get smaller in the
> future so the chances are that we will get less reports.
>
>> Would we also want to restrict the workaround to specific
>> hardware/firmware?
>
> Good idea, limiting per hardware would be simple to implement using
> hw_params. Of course we could even limit this per firmware version using
> enum ath10k_fw_features, but not sure if that's worth all the extra work.
>
> Baochen, do you know more about this firmware bug? Any suggestions?
OK, there are two issues here:

1. invalid HT rate: "ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: invalid ht params rate 1440 100kbps nss 2 mcs 7".

As commented by Wen quite some time ago, this has been fixed from firmware side, and firmware newer than [ver:241] has the fix included.

2. invaid VHT rate: "ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: invalid vht params rate 1920 100kbps nss 2 mcs 9".

After checking with firmware team, I thought this is because there is a mismatch in rate definition between host and firmware: In host, the rate for 'nss 2 mcs 9' is defined as {1560, 1733}, see supported_vht_mcs_rate_nss2[]. While in firmware this is defined as {1730, 1920}. So seems we can update host definition to avoid this issue.