Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 17:56:59 -0700
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
Cc: "Masami Hiramatsu (Google)" <mhiramat@...nel.org>, Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@...nel.org>,
	Jeff Johnson <quic_jjohnson@...cinc.com>, Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] probes: Updates for v6.11

On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 at 17:49, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> One possible model might be:
>
>  - remove the numbering from the syscall.tbl (because the numbers
> _are_ going to be different)

Just to clarify: the way I envision this "remove the numbering" is to
just make the numbering itself be the result of running scripts on the
system call table files.

And then different architectures could have different areas for "these
are the generic system calls" (and some kind of support to 'include' a
common file listing those), and the "these are my own system calls"
area.

x86 kind of has some of that kind of thing with the whole "system
calls above 512 are magic for x32".

Of course, *that* then failed too, but I don't think the concept is
necessarily completely broken.

             Linus