Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2024 17:45:33 +0200
From: Andy Polyakov <appro@...ptogams.org>
To: Justin He <Justin.He@....com>, Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
Cc: herbertx/cryptodev <cryptodev@...eply.github.com>,
Subject: Re: [herbertx/cryptodev] crypto: arm64/poly1305 - move data to rodata

Not by adrp alone, it has to be complemented with addition. I mean addrp
gives you the label's page address and you need to add the offset within
the page.

>>> But why would objtool attempt to disassemble it? Does it actually attempt to
>> disassemble unreferenced spaces between functions? Note that the .Lzeros label
>> doesn't make it into .o file, so there won't be anything in the symbol table to
>> discover as potential entry point..
> There is a similar patch (1253cab8a352) for x86. I guess that objtool/stacktool can be improved in this regard.

objtool is weird and arguably inconsistent. It does look at the symbol
table(*), and detects the return instructions(**), yet insists on
disassemble-ability of the whole .text segment... Oh well...

Cheers.

(*) For example it refuses to generated ORC metadata for the following
snippet

.text
foo: ret

It insists on foo being complemented with '.type foo,@function' as well
as meaningful .size.

(**) Since it does mark the region[s] past 'ret' as type:(und)