Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 16:33:27 +0000
From: "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@...db.de>
To: "Richard Earnshaw" <Richard.Earnshaw@....com>,
 linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Cc: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Russell King" <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
 "Linus Walleij" <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
 "Richard Sandiford" <richard.sandiford@....com>,
 "Ramana Radhakrishnan" <ramanara@...dia.com>,
 "Nicolas Pitre" <nico@...xnic.net>,
 "Krzysztof Kozlowski" <krzk@...nel.org>,
 "Mark Brown" <broonie@...nel.org>,
 "Kristoffer Ericson" <kristoffer.ericson@...il.com>,
 "Robert Jarzmik" <robert.jarzmik@...e.fr>,
 "Aaro Koskinen" <aaro.koskinen@....fi>,
 "Janusz Krzysztofik" <jmkrzyszt@...il.com>,
 "Tony Lindgren" <tony@...mide.com>,
 Linux-OMAP <linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>,
 "Nikita Shubin" <nikita.shubin@...uefel.me>,
 linux-samsung-soc@...r.kernel.org, "Andrew Lunn" <andrew@...n.ch>,
 "Sebastian Hesselbarth" <sebastian.hesselbarth@...il.com>,
 "Gregory Clement" <gregory.clement@...tlin.com>,
 "Jeremy J. Peper" <jeremy@...emypeper.com>, debian-arm@...ts.debian.org,
 "Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
 "Alexandre Torgue" <alexandre.torgue@...s.st.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC} arm architecture board/feature deprecation timeline

On Tue, Aug 20, 2024, at 16:58, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

>>> We marked iWMMXt as deprecated in gcc-14 and will likely remove support
>>> in GCC-15.  We expect to continue supporting these as Armv5T cores, but
>>> not the iwmmxt (or other XScale) extensions.
>>
>> Ok, good to know. The kernel doesn't actually have a build
>> time dependency on gcc's xscale or iwmmxt support aside from the
>> one assembly file we build with gcc -march=xscale.
>
> I think you mean -mcpu=xscale (-march=xscale isn't recognized), or
> perhaps you mean -march=iwmmxt?

We currently use "-Wa,-mcpu=iwmmxt", sorry for the mixup.

>> Do you have any comments on BE8 support? I would imagine
>> that having two (mostly) unused big-endian targets in
>> the compiler still complicates things a bit.
>
> The compiler/assembler largely treat BE8 and BE32 the same; the linker
> then byte-swaps the BE8 instructions during linking to generate BE8
> images (this is mostly why we need mapping symbols).  That won't really
> change if we drop BE32 support.  So I don't think we gain much from
> this.

Right, makes sense. I can never remember the way this is
actually implemented

>> Ok. I can certainly confirm that we regularly run into
>> build problems with -mabi=apcs in the kernel, usually
>> because of the incompatible structure alignment rules.
>> If binutils are dropping support, that also means we will
>> eventually stop supporting it in the kernel.
>
> This is primarily about the arm-elf (as opposed to arm-eabi) object
> file format, -mabi=apcs doesn't change that.  There are some options in
> gcc relating to the old APCS that I'd really like to get rid of (in
> particular -mapcs-frame (aka -mapcs)), but that's a separate issue.

I think I mixed this up as well, what we use for OABI kernels
is "-mabi=apcs-gnu", which creates an "ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable,
ARM, version 1 (ARM)" OABI  file instead of "ELF 32-bit LSB
relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV)".

We still use "-mapcs-frame" whenever we enable CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER
(aka -fno-omit-frame-pointer). Frame pointers used to be required
for a number of things in the kernel, now there are only two
places that don't work with the modern unwinder:

- CONFIG_ARCH_CORRECT_STACKTRACE_ON_KRETPROBE -- this should
  be on someone's TODO list, no idea why the implementation was
  never completed for this.

- OABI (-mabi=apcs-gnu) kernels, for the in-kernel stack unwinder

Neither of those is particularly important I think, so deprecating
-mapcs-frame along with -mabi=apcs-gnu for new gcc versions should
be from the kernel perspective.

I'll also send a patch to make both OABI and OABI_COMPAT support
depend on StrongARM, based on the earlier discussion. That way
dropping StrongARM (but not armv4 or fa526) in the future will also
eliminate OABI and nwfpe.

       Arnd