Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2024 19:15:27 -0400
From: Leo Li <sunpeng.li@....com>
To: Mikhail Gavrilov <mikhail.v.gavrilov@...il.com>,
 Harry Wentland <harry.wentland@....com>, zaeem.mohamed@....com,
 pekka.paalanen@...labora.com, "Wheeler, Daniel" <daniel.wheeler@....com>,
 "Deucher, Alexander" <alexander.deucher@....com>,
 amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
 dri-devel <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
 Linux List Kernel Mailing <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: 6.11/regression/bisected - after commit 1b04dcca4fb1, launching
 some RenPy games causes computer hang

On 2024-09-03 02:35, Mikhail Gavrilov wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2024 at 2:12 AM Mikhail Gavrilov
> <mikhail.v.gavrilov@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Is anyone trying to look into it?
>> I continue to reproduce this issue on fresh kernel builds 6.11-rc4+.
>> In addition to the RenPy engine, the problem also reproduces on games
>> from Ubisoft, such as Far Cry 4.
>> A very important note that I missed in the first message.
>> To reproduce the problem, you need to enable scaling in Gnome for
>> HiDPI monitors.
>> I am using 4K resolution with 200% of fractional scaling.
>
> Sorry for persistence, but I'm afraid there's no time left to fix this
> regression.
> There's a week left until the release.
> A month later, no one has looked at what the problem is.

Hi Mike,

Super sorry for the ridiculous wait. Your first two emails slipped by my inbox,
which is really silly, given I'm first in the to field...

Thanks for bisecting and finding a free game to reproduce it on. I did not have
luck reproducing this today, but I am on sway and not gnome. While I get gnome
set up, will you be able to test which one of these reverts fixes the hang for
you? Whether just 1/2 is enough, or both 1/2 and 2/2 is required?

I applied them on top of Linus's v6.11-rc6 tag, so hopefully they'll git am
cleanly for you:

1/2:
https://gist.github.com/leeonadoh/69147b5fa8d815b39c5f4c3e005cca28#file-0001-revert-drm-amd-display-move-primary-plane-zpos-highe-patch
2/2: