Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 17:29:04 -0700
From: Shoaib Rao <rao.shoaib@...cle.com>
To: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
Cc: Kuniyuki Iwashima <kuniyu@...zon.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
        kuba@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        pabeni@...hat.com,
        syzbot+8811381d455e3e9ec788@...kaller.appspotmail.com,
        syzkaller-bugs@...glegroups.com
Subject: Re: [syzbot] [net?] KASAN: slab-use-after-free Read in
 unix_stream_read_actor (2)

On 9/6/2024 10:06 PM, Shoaib Rao wrote:

> On 9/6/2024 9:48 AM, Shoaib Rao wrote:
>>
>> On 9/6/2024 5:37 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:

>>> KASAN does not panic unless you request it.
>>>
>>> Documentation/dev-tools/kasan.rst
>>>
>>> KASAN is affected by the generic ``panic_on_warn`` command line
>>> parameter.
>>> When it is enabled, KASAN panics the kernel after printing a bug report.
>>>
>>> By default, KASAN prints a bug report only for the first invalid
>>> memory access.
>>> With ``kasan_multi_shot``, KASAN prints a report on every invalid
>>> access. This
>>> effectively disables ``panic_on_warn`` for KASAN reports.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, independent of ``panic_on_warn``, the ``kasan.fault=``
>>> boot
>>> parameter can be used to control panic and reporting behaviour:
>>>
>>> - ``kasan.fault=report``, ``=panic``, or ``=panic_on_write`` controls
>>> whether
>>>    to only print a KASAN report, panic the kernel, or panic the
>>> kernel on
>>>    invalid writes only (default: ``report``). The panic happens even if
>>>    ``kasan_multi_shot`` is enabled. Note that when using asynchronous
>>> mode of
>>>    Hardware Tag-Based KASAN, ``kasan.fault=panic_on_write`` always
>>> panics on
>>>    asynchronously checked accesses (including reads).
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Thanks for the update. I forgot to mention that I I did set /proc/sys/
>> kernel/panic_on_warn to 1. I ran the program over night in two
>> separate windows, there are no reports and no panic. I first try to
>> reproduce the issue, because if I can not, how can I be sure that I
>> have fixed that bug? I may find another issue and fix it but not the
>> one that I was trying to. Please be assured that I am not done, I
>> continue to investigate the issue.
>>
>> If someone has a way of reproducing the failure please kindly let me
>> know.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Shoaib
>>
> I have tried reproducing using the newly added tests but no luck. I will
> keep trying but if there is another occurrence please let me know. I am
> using an AMD system but that should not have any impact.
>
> Shoaib

I have some more time investigating the issue. The sequence of packet
arrival and consumption definitely points to an issue with OOB handling
and I will be submitting a patch for that.

kasan does not report any issue because there are none. While the
handling is incorrect, at no point freed memory is accessed. EFAULT
error code is returned from __skb_datagram_iter()

/* This is not really a user copy fault, but rather someone

  * gave us a bogus length on the skb.  We should probably

  * print a warning here as it may indicate a kernel bug.

  */

fault:

     iov_iter_revert(to, offset - start_off);

     return -EFAULT;

As the comment says, the issue is that the skb in question has a bogus
length. Due to the bug in handling, the OOB byte has already been read
as a regular byte, but oob pointer is not cleared, So when a read with
OOB flag is issued, the code calls __skb_datagram_iter with the skb
pointer which has a length of zero. The code detects it and returns the
error. Any doubts can be verified by checking the refcnt on the skb.

My conclusion is that the bug report by syzbot is not caused by the
mishandling of OOB, unless there was code added to disregard the skb
length and read a byte.

The error being returned is confusing. The callers should not pass this
error to the application. They should process the error.

Shoaib