Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 11:45:14 +0200
From: Werner Sembach <wse@...edocomputers.com>
To: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>, Christoffer Sandberg <cs@...edo.de>
Cc: Jerry Luo <jerryluo225@...il.com>, Christian Heusel
 <christian@...sel.eu>, regressions@...ts.linux.dev,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-sound@...r.kernel.org,
 Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...ex.cz>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] Audio volume issues since 4178d78cd7a8

Hi Takashi,

Am 19.09.24 um 10:57 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 16:10:00 +0200,
> Christoffer Sandberg wrote:
>>

>> On 18.9.2024 15:49, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>> Yes the other is for Sirius Gen2
>>
>>> Hm, and one of those PCI SSID conflicts with System76 Pangolin
>>> (pang14)?  All seem to have the very same codec CX11970.
>> I don't think I saw the pci id explicitly listed, but that was the
>> assumption.
>>
>>> If they really conflict in both PCI and HD-audio codec IDs, the only
>>> way would be to check DMI string, I'm afraid.
>>>
>> I asked about the volumes since it could be a hint that a second
>> speaker is activated but stuck on a fixed volume. This would make a
>> low general volume setting sound louder but still somewhat adjustable.
>>
>> However, if we can not verify second speaker pair, then I agree, DMI
>> limit would be the safe choice.
> So, just to make clear: the device reported for a regression and the
> device you tried to tweak are different models?  The former is
> Pangolin and the latter Sirius Gen 2.  I'm confused by models.

Yes, the regression report is for the Pangolin, which seems to be affected by a
patch that should only affect the Sirius 16 Gen1 & Gen2.

> With the quirk, you'll get an individual mixer element controlling the
> top speaker volume?
Yes (for the Sirius devices at least, we ofc don't have a Pangolin laying around
we could test), unless you use this
https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/pull/410 alsa patch Christoffer
wrote for TUXEDO_OS and sent to upstream which merges them down into one
controlling both speaker pairs.

> Takashi

Kind regards,

Werner