Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 11:01:03 +0200
From: Tomas Glozar <tglozar@...hat.com>
To: paulmck@...nel.org
Cc: Valentin Schneider <vschneid@...hat.com>, Chen Yu <yu.c.chen@...el.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, sfr@...b.auug.org.au,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, kernel-team@...a.com
Subject: Re: [BUG almost bisected] Splat in dequeue_rt_stack() and build error

Ășt 1. 10. 2024 v 18:47 odesĂ­latel Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@...nel.org> napsal:
> Huh, 50MB and growing.  I need to limit the buffer size as well.
> How about "trace_buf_size=2k"?  The default is 1,441,792, just
> over 1m.

Yeah, limiting the size of the buffer is the way to go, we only need
the last n entries before the oops.

> Except that I am not getting either dl_server_start() or dl_server_stop(),
> perhaps because they are not being invoked in this short test run.
> So try some function that is definitely getting invoked, such as
> rcu_sched_clock_irq().
>
> No joy there, either, so maybe add "ftrace=function"?
>
> No: "[    1.542360] ftrace bootup tracer 'function' not registered."

Did you enable CONFIG_BOOTTIME_TRACING and CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER?
They are not set in the default configuration for TREE03:

$ grep -E '(FUNCTION_TRACER)|(BOOTTIME_TRACING)'
./tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/res/2024.09.26-14.35.03/TREE03/.config
CONFIG_HAVE_FUNCTION_TRACER=y
# CONFIG_BOOTTIME_TRACING is not set
# CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER is not set

> Especially given that I don't have a QEMU monitor for these 100 runs.
>
> But if there is a way to do this programatically from within the
> kernel, I would be happy to give it a try.
>
> > Also I'd say here we're mostly interested in the sequence of events leading
> > us to the warn (dl_server_start() when the DL entity is somehow still
> > enqueued) rather than the state of things when the warn is hit, and for
> > that dumping the ftrace buffer to the console sounds good enough to me.
>
> That I can do!!!  Give or take function tracing appearing not to work
> for me from the kernel command line.  :-(
>
>                                                         Thanx, Paul

Thanks for trying to get details about the bug. See my comment above
about the config options to enable function tracing.

FYI I have managed to reproduce the bug on our infrastructure after 21
hours of 7*TREE03 and I will continue with trying to reproduce it with
the tracers we want.

Tomas