Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2024 16:00:10 +0200
From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To: Christoffer Sandberg <cs@...edo.de>
Cc: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Jerry Luo <jerryluo225@...il.com>,
	christian@...sel.eu,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-sound@...r.kernel.org,
	perex@...ex.cz,
	regressions@...ts.linux.dev,
	wse@...edocomputers.com
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] Audio volume issues since 4178d78cd7a8

On Wed, 02 Oct 2024 10:21:22 +0200,
Christoffer Sandberg wrote:

> On 30.9.2024 09:44, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2024 21:37:42 +0200,
> > Jerry Luo wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi Takashi,
> >>
> >> On Mon, 16 Sep 2024 19:22:05 +0200,
> >>
> >> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >>
> >>     Could you give alsa-info.sh output from both working and
> >> non-working
> >>     cases?  Run the script with --no-upload option and attach the
> >> outputs.
> >>
> >>     thanks,
> >>
> >>     Takashi
> >>
> >> Issue now reappear, output from alsa-info.sh are attached. If they
> >> are still
> >> needed.
> >
> > Thanks.  The obvious difference seems to be the assignment of two DACs
> > 0x10 and 0x11 for headphone and speaker outputs.
> >
> > Christoffer, how are those on your machines?
>
> I attached alsa-info from the Sirius Gen2 device.
>
> Comparing the working/nonworking of Jerry, yeah, the assignment of
> 0x10 and 0x11 looks switched around. I don't see what difference this
> would make. Also, node 0x22 has "bass speaker" controls in the
> non-working version.
>
> Comparing the Sirius Gen2 alsa-info with Jerrys, to me it looks like
> the non-working version corresponds to our working version.
>
> I would expect the non-working version to happen all the time though
> with regards to the "bass speaker" controls. Why would this only
> happen sometimes?

Thanks!  The assignment of DACs depend on the pins and topology, so it
can be a bit sensitive.

Now looking more closely at both outputs, I wonder how the commit
breaks pang14.  Maybe it has a PCI SSID 2782:12c5 (or 12c3) while the
codec SSID is 2782:12b3?  If so, the patch below should fix.

Could you guys try it and verify whether it fixes for Pangolin and
doesn't break Sirius?

Takashi

Download attachment "0001-ALSA-hda-conexant-Fix-conflicting-quirk-for-System76.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2316 bytes)